Layers Process

CONCEPT STATEMENT:

This constructed composition visually illustrates the idea of time and how it evokes a sense of deep space. The concept of this design showcases the different ways we tell time. The front side shows how we can use the sun, moon, and stars to tell time while the back side shows the gears that can be found inside a clock. It represents how the intricate inner workings seen in the universe can be mimicked on a smaller scale mechanism. Both convey a sense of deep space as our universe feels like it has infinite depth with no beginning or end and the complex workings within the gears (to make a clock run) present themselves as a world of their own.

The use of layering emphasizes the depth component within this composition. Light is implemented to reveal the hidden element of the numbers on the clock and the stars in the background. Movement, space, and shapes are the main elements/ principles that are activated. There are working gears in the clock as well as a swinging moon to resemble a pendulum on a grandfather clock. The Cricut machine is used to cut out details while the laser cutter cuts the larger pieces. The final deliverables will have all the layered paper placed in a framed shadow box.

Ideation

Exercise #1: 

For our first exercise, we pick a specific font for our initials. The challenge is to incorporate a hidden element within the negative space.  The hidden element must communicate something about oneself. The illustrations must be in Adobe Illustrator and lasered/Cricut cut.

First I went on illustrator to explore the potential  fonts I could use: Franklin Gothic Heavy, Bauhaus 93, Eras Bold ITC, Britannic Bold, Berlin Sans FB Demi Bold, Forte, Franklin Gothic Demi

Testing out Different Fonts 

Bernard MT Condensed 

The font I chose for the final cut was Bernard MT Condensed

I began sketching ideas on what I could potentially include in the negative space. I wanted to include some of my favorite hobbies such as traveling (the plane), doing puzzles, art, and playing guitar.

Sketch Ideas

Then I took all of these designs and put them into Illustrator. Using the pen tool I drew each object and placed them into the negative space.

Illustrator Designs

I choose the fish and guitar for my final design. The two fish swimming in opposite directions is the symbol for Pisces which is my zodiac sign. I created 2 different layers: one for etching and one for cutting. All the lines were cut except for the etched dots of the fish’s eyes. I made sure that each letter had no more than 3 puzzle pieces. I used recycled MDF I found in the laser cutting room.

Initials Cut Using Negative Space

Exercise #2

For this exercise, we turned off the lights and chose an object of our choice to shine a light onto it. Our challenge was to draw an image we saw in the shadow created by the object. I chose my phone charger as the object to shine the light on. On one side of the charger, I saw a frog and on the other side, I saw the top view of a hotel building.

Shadows are seen on each side of the charger 

The Frog and the Hotel 

Then I started brainstorming things that have a sense of deep space.

List of Things that could be considered Deep Space

I begin to sketch out my ideas. The first idea I had was music/ sounds. I was inspired by the circular and “layered” seating arrangement in an orchestra. Music arrangements can be complex with multiple different instruments that play at the same time. Each instrument plays something a little different; whether it’s harmony, melody, or rhythm. All the intricate components weave themselves together to create a composed piece of music.

Idea #1 Music 

For my second idea, I wanted to do a cave/ forest/ body of water with the hidden element of a monster or giant creature that can only be seen when light is shined into the composition. The first image is a boat drifting into a cave but in reality, it is going into a shark’s mouth. The second image is another bout floating into the water, but a large octopus lurks at the boat’s bottom. The last image is a deep and dense forest and with the light shined on it we will see the glowing eyes of a creature/ monster in between the branches.

Idea #2

The third idea I had was “House v.s Home”. The construction of a house can be considered deep. There is a lot of engineering when it comes to building a large stable structure: hundred of wooden panels and structural supports. But a house is only 4 walls. What makes a house a home? The things that happen inside, the memories made, and the moments shared. Without the light there only the house would be seen: the structure, wooded panels, roof, doors, windows, etc. The light on it will reveal a family inside the home, pictures on the walls, the pets, the couch, etc.

Idea #3

For my fourth idea, I wanted to do the human body. Our feelings a very complex and deep and experience many different emotions. I also wanted to include body structure metaphors.

List:

• heart beating (out of my chest): nervous, anxious, excited, broken-hearted
  • Eyes: windows to the soul,  crying tears
  • stomach: butterflies, pit in the stomach
  • heavy shoulders
  • Head: head in the clouds, confusion,
  • Light on my feet

My fifth idea was time: visually illustrating the idea of time and how it evokes a sense of deep space. I sketch/ list all things that reminded me of time.

I came up with many different ideas so I decided to move forward with this concept. I thought it would be an interesting topic to explore further.

List of Ideas for Time Concept

I wanted to include movement in my composition to illustrate that time is in motion. I came up with some potential mechanisms and concepts for this idea.

Idea #1: Mechanism I came up with a spinning clock design that can pull apart into an hourglass. I wanted to make the sand in the hourglass spin so that it looks like it was falling into the bottom of the glass. The numbers on the clock would be the negative space so the lights shine through.

Spinning Clock and Hour Glass

Idea #2: Mechanism One side of the circle shows a clock while the other side is a picture of the earth. The whole structure would flip and the clock would spin using a handle. This represents time moving and the earth spinning.

Spinning Clock

Testing the Mechanism: Spinning Clock With Handle Using Brass Fastener 

Earth and Clock Movement 

Idea #3: Calendar A calendar but when the light shines through it you can see that the days are crossed off.

Light Up Calendar 

Idea #4: Aging I wanted to show that aging is a part of the time so for this design, I have a young girl but when the light is shined through reveals an old lady with the light showing wrinkles.

Aging Person

Idea #5: Season changing/ Trees Growing. Each layer would be a different season so winter would have snowflakes layered, autumn with layered leaves, summer with sun rays, and spring with fields of flowers.

Idea #6: The Inside of a Clock. With this design, I wanted to show all the gears working inside the clock. It gives a good sense of deep space in a literal and metaphorical way. It shows that the concept of time is deep and also the intricate workings within the gears; the engineering to make a clockwork is complex and presents itself as a world of its own. I added doors and stairs to emphasize the depth and the human-made aspect of the idea.

Gears Working Inside a Clock 

Idea #7: Time is an Illusion. For this concept, I wanted the design to be very distorted and with optical illusions. Portals to different dimensions and question what time is. (inspired by the twilight zone intro: Twilight Zone)

Since I had so many ideas, I tried to combine some of my favorites into one harmonious concept. I wanted to have some type of movement in my piece so I decided to move forward with the gear design. I wanted a clock inside but I also wanted to show how we use the sun to tell time. I came up with another design that tries to incorporate both of these things.

Idea #8: Using Celestial Bodies to Tell Time.

Clock With Sun, Stars, Moon, and Earth 

Since the framed shadow box can be seen from both sides, I have the Earth, moon, and stars in the front and the clock gears in the back.

Gathering Pictures for Inspiration:

Gears                                                      Spiral Clock                             Optical Illusion

Clock With Gears                               Clock Galaxy                         Using Stars to Tell Time

Gears                                       Layered Paper Illusion

I begin making small scaled prototypes to physically visualize all my ideas.

Celestial Bodies and Gears

I start putting everything into Adobe Illustrator

Clock + Stars, Sun, Moon, Earth 

For the Gears, I traced one tooth (of a gear) then went to object< repeat<radial to make the repeated tooth structures on the gear. Then I made a circle and united both of the shapes. I did the same steps again making the design inside the gears ( the repeating lines) then made a hexagon shape in the middle and joined the shapes together. Finally, I made a small hole in the middle. I wanted a set of three gears to spin so I took the one gear that I made, duplicated it, and made 2 smaller ones.

Making the Gears

All the Layers 

After making all the layers I printed a couple of them on the Cricut (small-scaled) to test out how the cuts look.

Test Cricket Small Scale

The Cricket wasn’t good at cutting the details in the numbers and gears so I decided that I would use the laser cutter instead for more precision. Before going to to the laser cutter I finalized all my images on Adobe.

I changed the clock so that all the numbers are lined with stars. First I made one star and turned it into a grid. Using the repeat function I made a radial pattern and then lined it up with the numbers.

Clock With Stars 

Using reference pictures, I made the craters on the moon. Then with the gradient tool, the moon fades from dark grey to light grey. I did this so that I could raster the details later.

Moon Reference Picture Moon Reference Picture

Making the Details of the Moon

I started making the Earth and then positioning all the planets in the orientation I wanted them to be cut.

The Moon

Planets Layered Together 

Layers on Top of One Another

Iteration and Production:

First I realized that the gears wouldn’t work because they aren’t the right size to fit with each other so I found a picture of working gears and use the same method I did before to make them.

Gears Reference Picture

I wanted to make the gears 3D so I wanted to attach 2 gears and make a hollow inside. I wanted to do something similar to a YouTube video I found where the gears are made with 2 pieces of paper and a paper tab that connects each tooth.

Clock Gear Out Of Paper  YouTube Video

For each gear, I extended the length of each tooth so that later it can be folded and glued to the other gear.

Extended Tooth Gears 

Gears Folded 

Each Tooth Tab Put Together with the Other Gear’s Tooth Tab

Each Gear Tooth Glued Together 

All Layers are Ready To Print.

Printed Layers 

The moon, earth, and sun were supposed to be in alignment but this made it look like the planets were stationary while in reality are in motion. I changed the position so the moon and earth are off-centered to appear like they are moving in space.

Earth Moon Sun in New position

I thought that the front side with the sun, moon, etc. did not look interesting enough so decided to add the movement of the moon. I turned the mood into a pendulum to resemble one found in a grandfather clock.

I begin to work on all the mechanisms in this composition such as the swinging moon and the moving gear. I planned to glue multiple circles together to make a small stack that can fit through the circle of the gear. I glued the stack onto the clock layer and centered the middle hole on the gear onto the stacked circles. Then I use a larger circle to lock everything in place, gluing the larger circle on top of the stack.

Circles Cut

Spinning Gears IMG_237 Moving Gears Video

Swinging Moon:IMG_2436 (2)

After the moving pieces, I glue all the moon/ earth structures in the back of the layer so that they could be revealed with the light shined through.

Earth

Reflection

Through this project, I have learned many new Illustrator tricks/ techniques. There was a lot of trial/ error and experimenting in the process of making this composition. Because I had a limited amount of materials and laser cutting time, I had to carefully plan out how I was going to construct everything. In the beginning, I had so many different ideas for this project that it was hard to narrow down and combine my ideas to make one harmonious/ cohesive concept. I got to practice how to use different cutting machines such as the laser cutter and the Cricut.

Final Product

Lights Off/On Back Side

Lights Off/ On Front Side