Shape Grammar: Part 2 Process

Statement of Intent 

The exploration of shape grammar by building on shape manipulation techniques. Exercising the process of Notan, a new composition will be made with basic shapes using methods of shape reflection and the principle of contrast. The ideas of activating positive and negative space along with implied imagery will be practiced. The main software used is Illustrator on a laptop and the size of the composition will be a 14′ x 14′ square digital artboard.

Ideation

Exercise 1:

Part 1: Practicing Notan

We were given black square cardstock paper. Using a cutting knife, we practiced cutting out different shapes inside the square. We then took the cut-out shapes and flipped them outside of the square so that it mirrors the empty space.

Part 2: Illustrator Introduction

As a class, we had a quick introduction to Illustrator and learned how to use basic functions such as how to make a file and ways to save our documents. We practiced making artboards and inserting different shapes.

Creating different shapes and placing them on the artboard

Learning different methods to save a file/ artboard and how to turn them into PDF format

Part 3: Practicing Notan on Illustrator 

I created shapes such as squares, triangles, and circles and practiced flipping them over the mirror plane. I made my desired shape and placed it on top of the square. I selected the entire composition then navigated to the pathfinder and clicked divide. The divide cuts the shape out of the square, leaving an empty outline.

Composing

I used the three basic shapes (squares, circles, and triangles) and layered them to make more complex images. I chose the theme with birds and started rearranging them around my art board.

I started experimenting with a bird theme and made this bird head/beak shape using circles and triangles. I made a circle around it and it started to look like an egg.

I then search up bird pictures to reference the basic shape of the bird. First I looked at a baby bird/ chick and another full-grown bird flying in the air. I used these pictures as a reference when creating my birds.

What to Do if You Find a Baby Bird

Baby Bird Reference

Frigatebird in Flight

Flying Bird Reference

These are the pictures I used as a reference/ inspiration for my basic bird outline.

I used a combination of circles and different types of triangles to make the birds. I grouped all the shapes to make my desired image.

I duplicated the birds so that there could be multiple. I adjusted the sizing of the birds and positioned them so that they go in order of smaller then gradually becoming larger.

Iteration and Production:

I started putting together all the components and added some circles on the sides to make an implied circle.

I changed the side circle to wider ones so that they would connect to the top and bottom large circles to better represent the circle of life theme.

I decided to make the implied circles on the side smaller and increase the number of circles to make it more visually interesting.

Reflection

Through this assignment, I have learned some of the basic functions and features of Illustrator. I was able to practice the process of Notan and layering different shapes to create a more complex image. One thing I would do differently for next time is to remember to group all of the images I made so that if they needed to be moved/ positioned in a different spot then it would be easier to drag them around the artboard. Another tip to remember is that for some of the images, it is easier to duplicate them and change the color instead of doing the entire cutting out the shapes process.

Portfolio Project 

Final Work

The theme is Circle of Life using Birds.

• The top half of the bottom circle represents the first stage of life: birth (the bird is inside the egg ready to come out).
  • The middle represents the next stage; it shows a baby bird/ hatchling.
  •  The top circle represents the bird growing up and gradually reaching its full adult form. I used repetition and scaling to show growth and movement (the birds flying across the sky/moon). The bottom half of the circle represents the “earthly” realm while the top half represents the “heavenly” realm.
  • Everything outside the square represents the spirit/non-living/death while inside the square represents life/ the living.
  • The whole order reads from bottom to top where the bird gradually gets more complex as our eyes move up the chain.