Home Health Care

It has not been a good couple of days. Around 3:00 Monday morning, my dog woke me and stood staring at me. Unusual, but I was in a sound sleep and thought he was patiently waiting for me to take him outside. I get up and notice he still did not seem normal, but make it to the door and open it. He stands there and looks at me. I asked him to go out and he did, but immediately turned around and asked to come back inside. He had water and he knows he does not get food/treats in the middle of the night. Being a large dog and of a breed that is susceptible to bloat, I watched for any signs that might be happening. None.

I slept on the couch the rest of the night as to be close if he needed me. We made it through the rest of the night, but when I got up he still was not “right.” He did go outside and he ate and drank. I was ready to call work and take a vacation day, but I instead decided to go to work as when I am home he follows me and I think would try to mask any ailments. I have the best neighbors and asked one to check on him when she got a chance and let me know what he was doing. She saw a normal dog at each visit.

Tuesday he was more himself, but still not the dog that greets me each night when I get home. Wednesday morning things seemed more normal. What would you do? I chose not to give him any NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.) If he had hurt himself, I wanted white blood cells going to the inflammation and start the healing process.

Right now he is getting sardines for omega-3 fats. Many of the fats a dog eats are either omega-6 fats or omega-3 fats. Both are important and both help control a dog’s hormones and immune system. The omega-6 fats however, could help trigger inflammation and the omega-3 fats reduce it.

He is also getting turmeric and blueberries and ginger for their antioxidant effects. Antioxidants are molecules that can prevent the cell damage free radicals cause.

I am not sure if these help or not, but they do not hurt, and it makes me feel like I am trying my best to make him feel like his old self. He will see the veterinarian on Saturday for blood work to determine if he has any health issues.

That is what I have done. What would you have done in my case? What have you done for your own dogs? I look forward to reading your comments.

A dog will teach you unconditional love. If you can have that in your life, things won’t be too bad. Robert Wagner