The Pesapane Lab accepts ticks from all over the state of Ohio – from any host or environment and any time of year – to aid our research program. All ticks will be identified and a subset undergo pathogen testing to improve our understanding of the distribution of ticks and tick-borne pathogens in Ohio. Our data is shared with the Ohio Department of Health Zoonotic Disease Program. To learn more about our tick research program or find resources related to tick prevention, please visit our research page.
This is a research submission program for people who want to contribute to our research but do NOT want any information in return. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to return results.
Note: If you’ve been bitten by a tick and need tick identification services, your local health department may be able to provide identification for free.
Contact email@example.com if you have questions about submission.
Tick Submission Instructions
- If the tick is attached, remove using tweezers (or a specialized tick removal tool) by grasping the tick closest to the skin and pulling gently upwards without twisting or yanking. Do NOT use petroleum jelly, nail polish, a hot match, or any other products as they are not effective. Be sure to kill the tick by placing it in rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, or the freezer.
- Place the tick in a small plastic bag. If you have multiple ticks, those from the same host and location can be placed in the same bag but those from different locations or hosts must be separated. Optional: If you’re holding onto ticks to submit as a batch, these bags can be stored in the freezer until you’re ready to send.
- Put the bag(s) in an appropriately sized mailing envelope with sufficient postage.
- Include a piece of paper in the envelope with the following information:
- Your name and phone number
- Nearest address or intersection where the tick was found
- Date the tick was found (month at minimum)
- What the tick was found on (i.e. cow, mink, dog, vegetation, etc.)
- Mail to:
A101 Sisson Hall
1920 Coffey Rd
Columbus, OH 43210