The Pesapane Lab accepts ticks from all over the state of Ohio – from any host or environment and any time of year – for identification and pathogen testing to improve our understanding of ticks and tick-borne pathogens in Ohio. Our data is shared with the Ohio Department of Health Zoonotic Disease Program. To learn more about our tick research program or find resources related to tick prevention, please visit our research page. Please note, tick submissions are for research purposes only. Unlike diagnostic fee-based laboratories, we are not able to provide results to participants since we do not yet have the capacity to offer these services. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about submission.
Tick Submission Instructions
- If the tick is attached, remove using tweezers (or a specialized tick removal tool) by grasping the tick closest to the skin and pulling gently upwards without twisting or yanking. Do NOT use petroleum jelly, nail polish, a hot match, or any other products as they are not effective.
- Place the tick in a small plastic bag. If you have multiple ticks, those from the same host and location can be placed in the same bag but those from different locations or hosts must be separated. Optional: If you’re holding onto ticks to submit as a batch, these bags can be stored in the freezer until you’re ready to send.
- Put the bag(s) in an appropriately sized mailing envelope with sufficient postage.
- Include a piece of paper in the envelope with the following information:
- Your name and phone number
- Nearest address or intersection where the tick was found
- Date the tick was found (month at minimum)
- What the tick was found on (i.e. cow, mink, dog, vegetation, etc.)
- Mail to:
A100K Sisson Hall
1920 Coffey Rd
Columbus, OH 43210