Stereotype of gender

Journal article: Gender Stereotypes

Naomi Ellemers., “ Gender Stereotypes”.” Vol. 69, pp.275-298, 2017. www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev-psych-122216-011719

This article discusses that the biological differences cause some differences between men and women but the social definition for each gender greatly develops the stereotype of gender. Naomi Ellemers is a faculty of Social Sciences of Utrecht University. It was published in2017. I found this source by searching on Google scholar. I chose this source to strengthen my argument because I think the stereotype of gender is mainly caused by people’s prejudice.

Magazine: The Gender Spectrum

This magazine mainly discusses the stereotype of gender from childhood. The author is Carrie Kilman and she is a writer and activist based in Madison, Wis. It was published in 2013. I chose this source is because in society, we have so many rules for each gender which forms the stereotype of gender and this magazine tells me about how these stereotypes form. The web address is www.tolerance.org/magazine/summer-2013/the-gender-spectrum.\

Video: gender roles and stereotypes

This video shows that several typical stereotypes we have in our life. Like we think men should be strong and muscular, women should be gentle and do the housework. The creator of this video is Amaze org which is an organization to take the awkward out of sex. It was published in 2018. I chose this source is because this source could give me examples to show the stereotypes of gender. The web address is www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulh0DnFUGsk.

organization website: Gender Differences in Movie Superheroes’ Roles, Appearances, and Violence

This source mainly discusses about the social media promotes stereotype of gender a lot. Monica K. Miller, JD., PhD. who is a Professor at the University of Nevada, Reno in the Department of Criminal Justice and the Interdisciplinary Social Psychology PhD program. It was published in 2016. I chose this source is because gender stereotypes are largely built by the culture and society and I think today’s social media is a reason to explain why stereotypes are so common in our life. The web address is www.adanewmedia.org/2016/10/issue10-miller-rauch-kaplan/.

Writings from others: how to shake up gender norms.

This source mainly discusses about the gender norms in different time period which shows us how gender stereotypes developed. The author is Elizabeth Weingarten. It was published in 2015. I chose this source is because this source provides the historical background of gender stereotype. The web address is www.time.com/3672297/future-gender-norms/