OSU Extension will be hosting a four-part “Planning for the Future of Your Farm” webinar series on January 23 and 30 and February 6 and 13, 2023 from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. This workshop is designed to help farm families learn strategies and tools to successfully create a succession and estate plan that helps you transfer your farm’s ownership, management, and assets to the next generation.
Greetings Soil Heath Enthusiasts,
The Ohio State University Extension Soil Health Committee as part of the OSU Agronomy Team wanted to make sure you were aware of our upcoming soil health programs scheduled for this winter.
To participate in the SOIL HEALTH 2023 WEBINAR SERIES – Registration can be found at www.go.osu.edu/soilhealthweb
CCA Credits will be available for each webinar.
Growers of organic produce or those interested in organic varieties and production are welcome to join the Ohio Organic Farmer Researcher Network for their monthly online meeting Thursday, January 5 at noon. Denise Natoli Brooks and Matt Kleinhenz will host a small but varied panel of Ohio produce professionals. They will discuss their variety and selection processes and priorities, some of their best and worst experiences, and how their choices relate to marketing, labor, and other concerns. Panelist Q&A will be followed by an open discussion about what motivates us to choose certain seed varieties and how we decide where/how to source them. The primary focus will be on organic vegetable varieties that perform well in Ohio.
Connection details are available at https://offer.osu.edu/events/organic-farmer-researcher-network-january-meeting. Sign up for reminders and future meeting notices by emailing Cassy Brown. Continue reading
Dear OSU Extension friends,
The Federal Communications Commission recently released new broadband maps that will be used to determine the amount of funding Ohio will receive to expand broadband access throughout the state via BEAD (the Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment program).
To improve the maps and ensure Ohio receives as much support as possible, we need your help!
By Jan. 13, 2023, we need as many Ohioans as possible to check the federal maps, and if there is an inconsistency about their local internet availability, submit supporting information online.
1) Share this email with all listservs that reach your community, as well as your broader network in Ohio.
2) Share the attached poster on social media, in your office building, and in commonly used spaces in your community.
3) Talk to as many people as you can. The more people who share their local status, the better!
If there are any questions about this effort, please contact David Civittolo, Ohio State University Extension interim assistant director for community development, at email@example.com. Thank you for helping us bring high-speed internet to all Ohioans.
Directions for the Survey (As seen in the graphic)
It’s easy, follow these steps:
- Search for your address at: BroadbandMap.fcc.gov
- Click on the “Settings Symbol” and make sure ‘All Wired and Licensed Fixed Wireless’ is selected under Technology (See picture)
- Is the location status correct? If not, click ‘Availability Change’
- Can the listed service providers deliver at the internet speeds displayed? If not, click ‘Availability Change’
Join the OSU Extension Beef Team with three upcoming educational opportunities. by Garth Ruff, Beef Cattle Specialist.
2023 OSU Beef Team Virtual Beef School
Starting in January and running through April, the 2023 OSU Beef Team Virtual Beef School will be hosted on Zoom on Wednesday evenings once a month at 6:30 PM. Topics will include Beef Inputs and Outlook, Managing Reproduction, Herd Health Management/Update, and Beef Team Live Roundtable. Participants can attend one or all sessions a no cost. To register for the webinars go to http://go.osu.edu/beefschool23. Official Virtual Beef School Flyer
Specific Dates and Topics.
- January 11 – A Look at Input Costs, Barry Ward, OSU Extension; Cattle Market Outlook, Garth Ruff, OSU Extension
- February 8 – Presynchronization and Improving Fertility of Beef Cows, Alex Crist, OSU Animal Sciences; Synchronization and Natural Service, Dean Kreager, OSU Extension
- March 8 — Asian Longhorn Tick and Theileria, Dr. Risa Pesepane, OSU Vet Preventative Medicine; Managing Disease in 2023, Dr. Justin Kieffer DVM, OSU Animal Sciences
- April 12 — Beef Team Live Roundtable, Ask Questions and Discuss Answers with OSU Extension Beef Team Members
Ohio Beef Cattle Feeding School
On February 6, 2023, there will be a Beef Cattle Feeding School. This year’s Cattle Feeding School will focus on adding value to the cattle feeding enterprise with three featured speakers at two different locations (Hancock and Wayne County). The cost of the event is $20 at each location with a meal provided.
- Dr. Jerad Jaborek, Michigan State Beef Feedlot Specialist will discuss Marketing and Feeding Considerations for Dairy Beef and Beef x Dairy Cross Cattle.
- Can we add value to beef manure? Eric Richer, Farm Management Field Specialist will be covering Compost and Fertilizer Potential for Pen Pack Beef Manure.
- The third speaker of the evening will be GarthRuff, Beef Cattle Field Specialist who will talk Beef Market Outlook for 2023.
The Hancock County event will take place from 12:00 – 2:30 PM at the OSU Extension Office in Hancock County, 7868 County Road 140, Suite B, Findlay, OH 45840. The Wayne County event will take place from 6:00 – 8:30 PM at OARDC Shishler Conference Center, 1680 Madison Ave, Wooster, OH 44691.
Check out the 2023 Ohio Beef Cattle Feeding Flyer to reserve your spot and register for the event.
Ohio Beef Cow/Calf Workshop -Optimizing Herd Fertility
Join the OSU Extension Beef Team on Monday, February 20, 2023, 9:00 am -2:30 pm, at Clemens Farms, 5135 N.Bankes Rd., Malta, OH 43758 for a Cow/Calf Workshop dealing with herd fertility. The cost is $10 per person and the event is limited to the first 50 attendees. Participants must RSVP to OSU Extension Morgan County at 740-962-4854 by February 15, 2023. The event will include a Beef lunch and all materials. Participants are to dress for hands-on demonstrations.
- Feed Sampling and Nutrient Analysis
- Mineral Nutrition for Beef Cows
- Heifer Development Strategies
- Heifer Synchronization Options
- Body Condition Scoring and
- Facilities Tour
Contact information: Chris Penrose, OSU Extension Morgan County. 740-962-4854 or Garth Ruff, OSU Extension Beef Cattle Field Specialist. 740-305-3201.
To see the official flyer: 2023 OH Cow Calf Workshop – Flyer
Join OSU’s Water Quality Extension Associates for their annual winter webinar series focusing on the interaction between agriculture and water quality. These webinars will take place monthly from January to March 2023. Continue reading