Do you need the Ohio Fertilizer Certification?

The question this week in the Paulding County Extension Office: Do I need to have the Fertilizer Certification?

Producers who have let their Fertilizer Certification expire or who are new producers needing the Fertilizer Certification based upon Senate Bill 150 have two options to obtain this training.

  1. Take the Fertilizer Certification Test via the Ohio Department of Agriculture. (Link to Testing Dates and Times)
  2. Take the in-person class.

One of the only opportunities in NW Ohio to receive the certification is in Allen County (Lima) on March 3rd from 6:00 – 9:00 pm.  The class size is limited and you must call or email to register. See the flyer here: FACT Flyer2021 Pre-Registration is required by February 26th. The cost for this training session is $30/person and includes training materials and handouts. To register, please call 419-879-9108 or email Clint Schroeder at Location: Allen County Fairgrounds – Youth Activities Building, 2750 Harding Hwy, Lima, OH 45804

Another opportunity is March 25 in Bowling Green. The NW Ohio Newsletter on the Events Section of the Blog.

Reasoning and who needs the Senate Bill 150 (Fertilizer) Certification (Taken from the ODA Website):

The Agricultural Fertilizer Applicator certificate is for:

  • Any individual who applies or supervises the application of commercial fertilizer to more than 50 acres of agricultural production grown primarily for sale. If you have the co-op or other custom applicator make your fertilizer applications, you do not need the certification yourself.

Under this certification program, commercial fertilizers do NOT include lime, limestone, marl, underground bone, water, residual from farm products, animal or vegetable manures, unless mixed with fertilizer materials or distributed with a guaranteed analysis.

If you wish to get a new AFA certificate, or if your previous certificate has been expired for more than 180 days, then you will need to either:

At the end of the training class or exam, you will be given an application form to complete. The instructor will submit this form to ODA for processing. You may also submit a separate application for Ag Fertilizer Applicator certification. After ODA has processed the application, then:

  • If you do not have a pesticide license, ODA will then send you an invoice for a $30 application fee. After paying the application fee, ODA will issue you a certification card that will expire in three years on March 31.
  • If you have a current pesticide license, the $30 fee is waived. ODA will issue you a new pesticide license card, with the fertilizer certification endorsed on it. This certification will expire on the same three-year cycle as your pesticide recertification credits.

Certified Crop Advisors (CCA) and Certified Livestock Managers (CLM) do not need this training or exam. They should contact our office for an application form.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *