FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Brett Gates, (614) 752-9817, firstname.lastname@example.org
Revised label and new training required before use in 2019
REYNOLDSBURG, Ohio (Jan. 16, 2019) – The Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) is reminding farmers of revised labels and new training requirements for applicators who intend to use dicamba herbicide products this year. In October 2018, U.S. EPA approved revised labels for the three dicamba products that are labeled for use on soybeans: Engenia (BASF), XtendiMax (Monsanto) and FeXapan (DuPont).
“Like any other product, we want to ensure licensed applicators are properly following label directions as they get ready for this growing season,” said Matt Beal, chief of the ODA Division of Plant Health. “This not only helps ensure the safe use of pesticides, it also helps prevent misuse and mishandling.”
The manufacturers of these dicamba products also agreed to additional requirements for their products. Some of the requirements include:
- 2019 labels supersede all prior labels for these products. Applicators must obtain a copy of the new label and must have that label in their possession at the time of use
- Only certified applicators may purchase and apply the products
- Those operating under the supervision of a certified applicator may no longer purchase or apply.
- Anyone who mixes, loads or cleans dicamba application equipment must become licensed.
ODA will host additional “Dicamba Ag Only” exams in February and March for those looking to become a certified applicator. Visit agri.ohio.gov for more details.
Applicators must complete dicamba-specific training
- Increased recordkeeping requirements
- Wind speed restrictions
- Temperature inversion restrictions
- Sensitive/susceptible crop consultation
- Spray system equipment clean-out
More details on these revisions can be found in the attached fact sheet. Applicators looking for a list of ODA-approved trainings can visit www.agri.ohio.gov. For questions, applicators can contact the ODA Pesticide and Fertilizer Regulation Section at 614-728-6987 or email@example.com.