Learning from My Mistakes

Since first coming to Ohio State in August, I have noticed a lot of things have changed about me. For one, I am much better at combating the urge to procrastinate. Another thing I have gotten is time management and checking Carmen.

These changes didn’t just come to me, though. I am currently taking Classics 2201H, and a major part of our grade relies on working on a paper outside of class. During the end of September, the professor suggested to start looking for sources for our paper, but I wasn’t too worried. I knew that the paper was due somewhere near the end of October. When October started, so many assignments started to pile from all my classes. I was working constantly.

Near the middle of October, I was about to go to bed after another long night of grinding homework. Before I went to bed, I decided to see what other assignments I had to worry about. It turns out that the first benchmark for the paper was due the NEXT DAY at 11:59 PM. I became so stressed, but I was too tired to stay up and work on the paper. I knew I had to go to sleep. When I woke the next day, I spent the whole day on the paper. One of my suitemates was nice enough to make me coffee the next morning when I explained my plight. Luckily, I was able to submit the assignment twenty minutes early, but it was real wake up call for me. Ever since then, I have tried to stay more on top of my work, and I always spend at least 15 minutes after doing my homework, scoping through Carmen to make sure I don’t miss any assignments or important announcements.

I hope that by the time I graduate, I will be an expert at time management and not pushing off work until the last minute. Skills like these are great to have, and I know that I will be spending a lot of my time at Ohio State trying to refine them.