Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies

In this week’s module, “Module 5: Web-Enhanced Listening and Viewing Strategies”, one important topic that I found to be useful was about different ways to take notes. At OSU, we are fortunate enough to have iPads as our primary technological device which we can use for man purposes. For me, I use my iPad daily and for many hours. In particular, Notability is an app I use for note-taking. In the module, it states that hand-writing your notes is more beneficial for retaining information than typing them due to the large amounts of nformation that is being typed and the inability of our brains to comprehend that information. Though typing notes has it’s benefits, it is not ideal to a college student in any rigorous classes that teach a lot of information in a small period of time. For me, switching from a fully digital learning environment back to pen and paper is definitely going to be a struggle but it is something that I will need to do before my finals to do well on them.

Ideas that I will be implenting into my daily school life will be to seek for more online resources. The web is filled with resources for every topic that we can imagine. If we are struggling with a topic that we are learning, a simple search does the job. Something I sometimes overlook is using my resources to my advantage. With billions of websites out there, I am sure to find a result for what I am looking for. Note-taking is something that we will carry for the rest of our lives and being a good note-taker sets you apart from an average student. By implementing some strategies learned in this module, in particular the video “How to Take Notes in Class”, strategies such as Cornell notes, outline method, and mind-mapping are some that I will consider. One method that I already implement is writing on the slides. As most of the information that we will need to know in our classes is already on the slides, additional information that our professors say in the lectures are written on the slides for future notice right before an exam. This has helped me significantly in my classes and will be looking to expand my note-taking skills as well as my resource finding skills.

Source:

https://osu.instructure.com/courses/91568/pages/lesson-module-5?module_item_id=4997657