RA Reflections

“It’s their problem; they should have to move out!”

Ah, the joys of being a Resident Advisor. A resident thinks the roommate should move out because the conflict is obviously the roommate’s fault. The conflict that the resident never brought to the roommate’s attention.

This a realistic representation of the past two years of my work life. For those who don’t know, an RA is an older student who lives on each floor in the residence hall to maintain safety standards, order, etc. on the floor and can guide residents to resources like career services, counseling services, multicultural services. The role varies from university to university, and many countries don’t have RAs (or dormitories). Sometimes the conflicts are easily resolved, and other times the incidents are more serious and require calling the boss(es). It’s a job that requires tough skin with an empathetic heart.

This role has provided me with a plethora of lessons and experiences. I know about identities and cultures that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise. It’s helped me establish some of my own values, particularly acceptance and tolerance. I know how to let a conflict cool and bring the conflicting parties back to discuss what’s happening. I know what an “I” statement is and can use it (and highly advise everyone else to use them). I found that I actually have a strong personality. I found a field where I can pursue a Master’s degree and career. As challenging as the job sometimes is, these experiences and bonding with my residents is what made me return for a third year.

“I don’t know anyone else who would want to go to Taste of OSU. Will you go with me?”

The above is the best question a resident could ever ask. Replace “Taste of OSU” with anything, and it still is. There is no problem; a resident simply wants to do something we have in common. It’s my favorite part of the job, and it might be something my friends wouldn’t do with me, either. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it reminds me of why I like this job. The single room isn’t too bad, either, but bonding with a resident over food, music, travel, tennis, or anything is a wonderful thing. Two years ago, I went to this event with one of my residents and talked with her about travel and study abroad. Now we send each other music videos and Snaps of our travels.

There are also those who share my fun and pain—my fellow RAs and our supervisors. They can make life so much easier when the job gets rough. I’ve been lucky to have excellent supervision and know advice is a text or email away. When I need to vent, my colleagues are also nearby and ready to listen. They understand how difficult it can be to not only deal with incidents but also balance this job with school which is so hard to do when you live where you work. Living where you work is a blessing and a curse. You can respond to certain things in your PJs, but there’s also the misunderstanding that you work 24/7 and must respond to everything immediately. And sometimes it’s you who misunderstands this without even realizing it.

Is the job worth it? It depends on whom you ask and who you are. For some, it isn’t worth it at all. For others, like me, it is.