(Some) Challenges Abroad

After returning home, I reflected more about my experiences abroad. I alluded to some of my challenges previously, including a few health problems and culture shocks, and I thought I’d talk about a couple of them here. As a disclaimer, I had been warned about possible discomforts before leaving, but I figured I would cross those bridges when I got to them. I also figured that possible = probably won’t happen.

Surprise, surprise.

One of the first discomforts was being immersed in two different cultures. Even though many French and Moroccans speak English, there are still some cultural channels to navigate. First, “Bonjour” and “Salam-alaykum.” Even though I had been learning French for 8 years, I had no idea that you start every interaction with strangers with “Bonjour” in France. It’s more than “Hello;” it’s also an acknowledgement. In Morocco, people were much more relaxed and welcoming, but they seemed more willing to help if I greeted them with “Salam-alaykum” and then asked if they spoke French or English. Using “shokran” instead of “thank you” or “merci” also helps. I didn’t realize this until day 3 in Rabat. Next, do not smile at strangers in either country. This may have been the hardest thing for me as Midwesterner. In Morocco, I also didn’t shake hands with anyone, particularly men, but put my right hand over my heart instead. It’s not that French or Moroccans aren’t polite; they just have different perspectives on what is polite, and you can pick up on many of them while you’re there. A quick Google search should also help.

A more severe discomfort was the health problems. Of course, there’s jet lag. I passed out right after laying on my bed at 12pm Paris time. If it hadn’t for our schedule, I probably would have slept the day away. And then there’s reverse jet lag which, for me, was worse. I spent two weeks sleeping at 7pm and waking up at 4 or 5am. There were also some digestive problems that came along with new(ish) cuisines. I would advise anyone traveling abroad to bring Tums, Pepto, or anything else you might need to calm an upset stomach. And listen to your tour guides and resident directors when they tell you to prepare for various things. Better prepared than unprepared.

These discomforts aren’t new or unique, but I wanted to write about them because I didn’t take them seriously when I was cautioned about them. They are possible, and they probably will happen.