GOALS

During this year I engaged in several different service opportunities that were available through Health Sciences Scholars or other organizations on campus. During the first semester, I participated in the first Service Sunday that was at the Martin Janis Community Center, and did other miscellaneous volunteering events such as a Blood Drive Event through Med-Life and volunteered as a timer at a swim meet that was a day long event. During second semester, I went on a Southeast Ohio Learning Trip through the College of Pharmacy. We had the opportunity to volunteer at several places around Athens including United Campus Ministries and the Southeast Ohio Foodbank.

At the beginning of April I went to the Student National Dental Association Impressions Day at the College of Dentistry at Ohio State. During this day I had the opportunity to talk to several dental students of various years and asked them all about dental school, the admissions process, preparing for dental school, etc. I received a lot of advice and insight from these students. A third year student mentioned the importance of things outside of school, such as volunteering or engaging in activities that are hobbies and make a person unique. He mentioned that everyone has great grades, and that everyone has an important position in some club on their campus, but that the thing that allowed him to be accepted into Ohio State’s Dental School was the involvement and passion that he had for a club that was completely unrelated to dentistry. Additionally, a second year student gave the advice to ensure to take the DAT (Dental Admissions Test) during junior year of college, and to specifically prepare for the vision portions of the DAT by practicing in practice testing books. The biggest thing that I took away from talking to these students is to ensure that I find something that I am passionate about and stick to it, even if it has nothing to do with academics or the medical field, and to make sure that I demonstrate that dedication and passion in the admissions process.