Postdoctoral scholars in some fields do not have teaching training and opportunities included in their postdoctoral training. However, to be competitive for faculty positions at primarily undergraduate institutions, and even at some departments in research intensive institutions, applicants have to demonstrate knowledge and experience with teaching. For this reason, we have made a list of resources and programs that could be useful to postdoctoral scholars looking teaching opportunities.
Important things to consider:
- To be compensated for teaching done on campus (i.e. for Ohio State), the funding of your appointment would need to be split. If you are employing 10% of your time teaching, then the unit benefiting from your teaching will be responsible for paying 10% of your salary and benefits, and your advisor/department will pay for 90%. Note: Your appointment cannot be split. You must remain as a 100% FTE employee in your unit. This is particularly important for international postdocs who are on visas such as J1 or H1b.
- If you teach outside of Ohio State, and you will do this as a side job, you will likely have to be hired as an adjunct by the institution you are teaching for. This is typically not an option for postdocs who are not US citizens or permanent residents.
- If you are funded by a fellowship, make sure that teaching is not forbidden by your funder.
- University Institute for Teaching and Learning Teaching Endorsements
- 5001 -Topics in Biology Teaching
- 6001 -Biology College Teaching
- Center for Life Sciences Education, Contact: Caroline Breitenberger, Director, 260 Jennings Hall, 614-292-6945
Researcher, Mentor Teacher (RMT) Program
Columbus State Community College
- Adjunct faculty positions listed here
- to give presentations to the STEM Club contact Merideth Sellars, Laura Shady, or Jeanette Ferguson
Nearby colleges and universities that post adjunct professor positions (listed by enrollment size):
- Franklin University
- Central Ohio Technical College
- Capital University
- Otterbein University
- Ohio Dominican University
- DeVry University
- Denison University
- Kenyon College
- Ohio Wesleyan University
- Columbus College of Art and Design
- Mount Carmel College of Nursing
- Ohio Christian University – Dublin
- Ohio University – Central Ohio campuses