Wednesday in Guatemala

After day 2 of the STEM activity, the children left an even deeper impact on me. They are so happy to learn, and help each other, and in general, are super happy. It is very astonishing to see children running around with holes in their shoes, and flies buzzing around them. It was really cool though, to see the children dressed in traditional Mayan clothing. I am very grateful that we got to interact with the children on this level, and that the teachers are so welcoming. The school buildings are very well constructed, but simple. The classrooms don’t have a lot, but are fairly well supplied. The decorations are all very cute and educational, and they have a lot of fun with them as well. The teachers do a lot of physical activities with the kids, like jumping and singing and dancing, and it is very cute to see. It is also a nice way for the kids to get energy out. I am excited for the other group to present their activity, so that I can just participate and help the children.

Building the onil stoves is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I was under the impression that the pieces would be a lot heavier. However, we did not have to take them to the houses; we just put them together from the pieces already in the houses. The process is very simple, and you shouldn’t be intimidated by it. The homes here are very different from homes in the US, and what I am used to seeing. The people are also very different, they are extremely welcoming and grateful. Even though they do not have much, they still found ways to show gratitude, with bread or soda.

The scenery of Pana is absolutely breathtaking. The natural beauty of the lake and the volcanos make for incredible views. I especially love seeing all the gardens and crops growing, as well as the flowers that grow naturally everywhere. I have not seen many birds, but there are tons of dogs in the street. Views like this are hard to find back home.
Thanks,
Maya