Leeanna McKamey, SNAP-Ed Program Assistant
OSU Extension/Highland County
As summer is quickly passing by and schools are planning on starting again, try to spend quality time with your family. One of the best ways to do that is making easy meals or snacks together. Children are more willing to try different foods when they helped make them. Here is a fun recipe to try.
English Muffin Pizzas
Whole Wheat English Muffins
Green bell pepper
Optional: Pepperoni, hamburger or sausage (make these small amounts. If using pepperoni, cut into small pieces.
- Wash hands and surface areas before starting.
- Chop up vegetables into small pieces.
- In a medium skillet, add vegetables with canola oil and cook for 3 minutes.
- Grade cheese if needed.
- Then make the sauce from the recipe below.
- For a crispier muffin, lightly toast before adding ingredients.
- When sauce is done, add to muffin. Add vegetables, meat if using and then sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven at 450 degrees until cheese is melted. About 10 minutes.
- Remember to let your children pick what vegetable they would like for their individual pizzas. If they are picky eaters and like different veggies, steam veggies separately in the microwave and let them pick.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- Peel and rinse onion, garlic, and carrot.
2. Dice onion. Shred carrot using a grater. Mince garlic.
3. In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, and carrot. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
4. Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
5. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes.