(Submitted by Patrick Dengel, Business Development Specialist, Small Business Development Center and Adjunct Instructor, University of Rio Grande MBA Program/OSU South Centers Collaboration, OSU South Centers)
You need to have an effective sales attitude to be successful in sales. Staying motivated through the ups and downs of the sales cycle is a must. It is imperative for you to be able to cope with rejection and move quickly to take advantage of opportunities to impress potential clients. Here are some insights that have been found to be effective:
1. See that every day is a new opportunity to sell.
2. Know who and where customers are located.
3. Believe in the products and services, which will truly help customers’ needs.
4. Know that customers must first trust before they purchase.
5. Listen to customers. They will tell you what they want in the first 15 minutes.
6. Be consistent, persistent, and follow through with on-going and new customers.
7. Treat people with honesty, integrity, respect, and dignity.
8. Never talk badly about the competitors.
10. Write down customer details after a sales presentation.
11. Use time appropriately. Learn the right time to sell and the right time to do paperwork.
12. Establish Daily – Weekly – Monthly Sales Goals.
13. Recognize that small successes over a short period of time lead to large successes over a long period of time.
14. Pay attention to small details.
15. Keep track of trends.
16. Take time to recognize successes. Too much time can be spent on what is not accomplished and not enough time on what has been done.
17. Participate in business organizations such as Chamber of Commerce, Rotary, Kiwanis and other groups that can help you network and ultimately make more sales.
18. And finally, NEVER GIVE UP!