(Written by Melissa Carter, Business Advisor, OSU South Centers Small Business Development Center)
If you have a store front business, the recent weather has provided a great time to take your business outside. Hold sidewalk sales to gain visibility and new sales. Here’s a few ways to increase your business:
- Provide variety – appeal to a variety of clients and offer different items.
- Impulse buys – Just because your products are outside does not mean you need to discount them. Seeing a product out front may create an impulse buy for a consumer and won’t realize it is not on sale.
- Work with your neighbors – talk with other businesses on your block and all decide what day(s) are best to hold sidewalk sales – then promote collaboratively!
- Prop your doors open – This encourages browsers to come inside.
- Signage – Don’t want to put your product outside? Just get a sign to prop up outside with a call to action written on it. New sale? New product? Put it on a sign to catch the eye of passersby.
Sidewalk sales are great for businesses who may not fully know what is in your store. Have staff available to stay outside with your product or at least able to keep an eye on the outside.