(Shared by Ryan Mapes, Program Leader, Business Development Network, OSU South Centers)
The Ohio State University’s Center for Design and Manufacturing Excellence (CDME) was recently awarded a contract from the Ohio Development Services Agency (ODSA) and the National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST) to support the growth of small and medium sized manufacturing companies in the southeast region of Ohio. The contract establishes CDME as a Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) affiliate for the State of Ohio in support of Ohio companies. CDME will partner with the Ohio State University South Centers Business Development team to implement services in the Southeast Ohio region.
The MEP at Ohio State will focus on providing value added CDME has a full-time engineering staff and is led by a team of former entrepreneurs and business owners who have successfully grown manufacturing and product innovation companies. The MEP program has access to CDME’s 40,000 square foot manufacturing space on the main Columbus campus, as well as most of the equipment in the broader Ohio State University landscape.
CDME MEP is primarily focused on new product development, product improvement, innovation, business development, lean manufacturing, and supply chain management. The program assists companies in the central and southeast Ohio regions in the following manner:
- Providing value-added engineering support for product development and innovation with an emphasis on design for manufacturing.
- Commercialization support and partner opportunities with commercial OEMs.
- Professional program management and industry-friendly contracts.
- Proposal identification and development support for federal, state and commercial funding programs.
- Access to the research capabilities and facilities of The Ohio State University and other State of Ohio research universities and federal laboratories.
- Introduction to support partners in the CDME network (incubators, venture capital, supply chain partners, fortune 100 OEMS, etc).
- Prototyping and small scale manufacturing of new products.
- Access to highly motivated students with experiential learning looking to join innovative manufacturing companies upon graduation.
For more information, log onto https://cdme.osu.edu/