(Submitted by Melissa Carter, Business Development Specialist, Small Business Development Center, OSU South Centers)
Everybody likes to win something, whether it’s a new product or a gift certificate. Using Facebook to hold a contest is a great way to increase your views, reach and potential sales. In Facebook’s fine print, there are a few stipulations to having promotions.
• To collect entries, you can ask people to:
• Like or comment on a post on your Page (ex: “Like this post to enter”)
• Publish to your Page
• Send your Page a message
• Personal profiles can’t be used to collect entries. For example, asking people to share a post on their profiles to enter your promotion isn’t permitted (ex: “share on your Timeline to enter” or “share on your friend’s Timeline to get additional entries”, and “tag your friends in this post to enter” are not permitted)
• Acknowledgement that the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
Here are some tips and tricks on holding a promotion/contest:
1. Set a timeframe – Create a sense of urgency
2. Make your rules clear and easy to follow
3. Have a relevant prize
4. Choose a custom hashtag
5. Promote on a regular basis – boost (use a paid ad) if possible
6. Notify the winner privately and publically – Livestream the winner
7. Thank all of the individuals who participated
8. Contest Ideas – Caption this; scavenger hunt; fill in the blank; name the XXX; selfie with products.