Pelotonia 2016 (and Other Fun Activities)

Hey guys! Long time no see… 🙂

So, somehow this semester has completely flown by, and I now find myself 6 weeks from the official end of my first year at The Ohio State University College of Optometry.

Holy cow. That’s just crazy.

Overall, it’s been a great semester. Despite having 1-2 exams every week since February 3rd, the course load has seemed lighter, and I have finally had enough free time to branch out into new activities. Check them out!

1. The School of Professional Students Orchestra
For as long as I can remember, music has played a huge role in my life. It should come as no surprise then that spending first semester without any real musical outlet was frustrating for me. Though I had had the opportunity to join upon moving to Columbus, I was hesitant: I had never played in an orchestra before, and they already had several pianists (my main instrument) signed up. Thankfully, several other first year optometry students joined, and then coaxed me into going to a practice. I loved it. Here’s a picture of the five of us after our spring performance!

image

2. Life Group
Here on campus, I call H2O my home church. During first semester, though life groups (groups of 10-20 people who get together 1-2 times a week and help each other grow spiritually, while being encouraged in every day life) were heavily emphasized, I never really explored the options that were available to graduate students. After having life groups brought up by 4 different people in a matter of days though, I decided to check them out. One week later, I found myself at a random apartment, eating food and playing games with a group of women that I had previously never met. It was a blast. Needless to say, I have now become a regular at life group, and absolutely love it.

3. Pelotonia ’16
So, I have an announcement to make.

*Ahem*
Ladies and gentlemen. I have officially decided to participate in the Pelotonia 2016. With this, I will be riding 100 miles on a hot August day to support cancer research. This year, I am joining The Ohio State University College of Optometry’s team, “The Rolling Eyes”, in support of our fellow classmate, Mark Ortiz, who is currently undergoing cancer treatments. Your donations, 100% of which will fund cancer research at The James Cancer Hospital here at OSU, would be greatly appreciated. Check out my personal story at Pelotonia.org/Hannah.Vollmer. Thank you in advance!

image

Well… I think that about exhausts my excitement for tonight.

‘Til the next time!

-Hannah