Summer Recap 2019

Hello everyone!

After a flurry of activity at the end of spring semester with final exams, keystone, and our white coat ceremony, having this summer off has proven to be a wonderful and restful change of pace. When I was not working part-time as a tech at an ophthalmology office, I had plenty of time to relax and visit with family and friends. Here are some of the highlights from this summer!

This past June, I attended Optometry’s Meeting in St. Louis, Missouri alongside many of my classmates. Throughout the week, I had the opportunity to attend many different continuing education sessions, leadership talks and workshops, and learn about up-and-coming optometric products in the exhibit hall. We also got to cheer on Bri Farley as she got third place at the annual student bowl! It was great to explore sites around St. Louis such as the Gateway Arch, visit the city museum, and attend a Cardinal’s baseball game as well.

In July, a team of us went to Dayton, Ohio to volunteer vision services at a Remote Area Medical (RAM) disaster relief clinic after tornadoes struck the city earlier in 2019. With the help of many additional wonderful RAM volunteers, the clinic provided free eye exams and glasses to 56 people in one day!

It’s hard to believe that summer break is nearly over and that my second year of optometry school starts next week. I can’t wait to catch up with the rest of classmates and learn more hands-on clinical exam skills!