‘Twas the night before summer school begins… (OPT II wrap up)

… and I am unable to gather my thoughts!! This summer term marks the start of OPT III, as well as many firsts for me: full-time enrollment for a summer semester, seeing patients in primary care (that are not friends or family), not having an extended break to travel or be home in Maryland, and the list goes on!

Looking back on OPT II, it is mind-blowing to even comprehend how much we learned and have applied in OPT II Clinic this past spring! We spent the entirety of the fall semester learning how to do a full eye exam so that we could start performing exams on friends/family in the spring. I noticed my clinic skills were progressively improving every day, and I was able to apply what I’ve learned in my didactic classes to help make some accurate diagnoses (things that I previously believed were hidden and unattainable deeeeeeeep in my brain). As I did my final exam on my Mom, I finally felt like an optometry student/soon to be optometrist and was super proud to show her everything that I have learned up until now. Just want to share how thankful I am for the support of my family and friends (and for letting me give them the longest eye exam of their lives!)