• Global Awareness:
    • For my global studies course here at OSU, I am scheduled to take Medicine in the Ancient World, which focuses on the medical approaches of ancient Roman and Greek cultures.  I think this will provide me with an appreciation for the way medicine has evolved as well as giving me a perspective from other cultures.  I also participated in the “Taste of OSU” day at the Union where booths were set up with different foods to try from many different cultures.  Not only did I get to try these foods, but I was also surrounded by people of so many different cultures and got to learn a little bit about each.
  • Original Inquiry:
    • One of the goals that I have for myself before I leave OSU is to participate in undergraduate research with one of the professors on campus.  I think it would provide me with unique skills and would allow me to gain new knowledge on subjects that interest me and pertain to my major and future career choice.  As a medical dietetics major, my plan is to find a research position that relates nutrients to certain medical conditions or the wellbeing of the body.
  • Academic Enrichment:
    • In order to enrich my academic abilities, I plan to continue taking challenging courses that will encourage me to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills.  I also plan to join the Student Dietetic Association in order to learn more about the aspects of my future career.
  • Leadership Development:
    • I have taken a few steps in order to develop my leadership skills and plan to continue doing that throughout my years at OSU.  I have applied to be a TA for the Health Sciences Scholars Seminar course for incoming freshmen and will become a peer mentor to one of those freshmen to provide guidance and lead them through their struggles as a first year.  I also plan to become involved with several organizations, hopefully working my way to the top of one of them to become a part of one of the leadership committees.
  • Service Engagement:
    • I have participated in several service days through Health Sciences Scholars in my first year of school, and I plan to continue seeking opportunities to serve Columbus and the surrounding areas.  One goal I have for service is to become a part of Adopt-A-School to tutor and mentor students at Graham Elementary and Middle School.
    • Throughout my second year here at Ohio State I have stayed involved in volunteer service with the All People’s Fresh Market here in Columbus.  The market is a place where with a membership, visitors can come and we will provide food (mostly fresh fruits and vegetables) to them for free.  Members can come once per day, each day that the market is open.  They can either drive through and pick up a pre-packaged box of food or walk through the in person market and “shop.” My responsibilities included packing boxes of food, organizing produce stands and refrigerators, checking in visitors with Pantry-Trak (an online identification system through Mid-Ohio Foodbank), and loading the boxes into members’ cars.  It has provided me with an appreciation for the things I have and has allowed me to meet new people and create relationships with people of all walks of life.  I plan to continue volunteering with the pantry throughout my next couple years at Ohio State.