Year in Review

GOALS

In developing my Global Awareness, I must develop an understanding of how various factors such as cultural, economic, political, environmental, and social influences have an effect on the world. Thus far, my coursework has been most helpful in developing my Global Awareness. In taking Sociology, I learned a lot about the social factors that have an effect on our world and the consequences that exist. In the class, we discussed various social issues that exist in terms of education, social mobility, gender, family, etc. and the discussions that we had played a large role in developing my Global Awareness. Yiddish 3399 (Holocaust in Yiddish and Ashkenazic Literature) was another class that I took that developed my Global Awareness. In the class, I learned much about the history of the Holocaust, but more importantly, the effects that the Holocaust had on various types of people and how those effects still play a role today. I plan to continue to develop my Global Awareness by taking other courses, but I also hope to travel abroad. A goal of mine is to partake in a Buck-I-Serv trip abroad that will allow me to spend time immersed in the culture of another country. By travelling abroad, I feel that I will become much more aware and develop a better understanding of what it means to be a global citizen.

There have been several experiences that I have had so far that have helped me to understand the research process. Firstly, there have been several classes that I have taken that have emphasized the scientific method and we have evaluated the various research methods that exist. Some of these courses would include Chemistry, Psychology and Sociology. Secondly, I joined a research lab my second semester and that experience has truly helped me understand the research process. The research lab that I joined performs research on chronic lymphocytic leukemia and the various genes that are involved with the cancer. During the training process, I learned much about the process and the effect that this research has in the real world. In order to continue working toward a better understanding of the research process, I plan on staying on campus during the summer to spend more time performing research. By staying over the summer, I will be able to dedicate much more time to the research lab and I believe it will help me work toward my goal.

My honors contract demonstrates a commitment to the goal of Academic Enrichment because of the rigor that exists in the curriculum that I have laid out. By taking the Honors classes that I have taken and those that I plan to take (Chemistry 1910H, Psychology 1100H, Sociology 1101H, etc.), my course load is filled with a certain difficulty. I feel that the coursework will remain challenging and this challenge will allow me to get the most out of my college experience, demonstrating a commitment to the goal of Academic Enrichment. My planned curriculum also relates to my future aspirations. Since I am on a Pre-Medicine Track, the courses that I have taken or plan to take such as a year of General Chemistry, a year of Organic Chemistry, a year of Biology, and a semester of Biochemistry allow me to stay on this track. The major that I chose also relates to my future aspirations because as a Neuroscience major, I feel that I am in the process of developing an advanced understanding of the human nervous system, which will be beneficial to me in my future. The GE courses that I have chosen also demonstrate academic rigor since there are several Honors GE courses, demonstrating a commitment to excellence. Also, my selections relate to my future aspirations since I have taken classes on subjects that are emphasized on the MCAT such as Psychology and Sociology.

Coming to Ohio State was naturally a big change from high school. However, various activities have allowed me to find a sense of community. The activities have also allowed me to take on leadership roles that contribute to cultivating my leadership skills and competencies. Beginning my second year, I became a General Chemistry Teaching Assistant and I feel that this has contributed to my development as a leader in cultivating my organizational skills, communication, and confidence. Another activity that I am involved in is an organization called Remote Area Medical Columbus. The organization is new to Ohio State so I am part of the Founding Committee and was elected Volunteer Committee Head. In these roles, my leadership development has continued since it is important to be proactive and delegate the duties appropriately. I am also on the Finance Committee for Pre-Medicine Club and the Fundraising Committee for Recipe 4 Good. In these leadership roles, commitment and teamwork skills are essential. My involvement in these activities relate to my personal goals since it is important to me to be able to be an effective leader when necessary. It is also relevant to my career goals because leadership skills are a valuable characteristic to have regardless of what career choice one makes.

The service-oriented activities with which I have been involved include volunteering at the Columbus Free Clinic, Wexner Medical Center volunteer, volunteer with University Hospitals Ahuja Medical Center and Bedford Medical Center, and student organizations such as RAM Columbus, Pre-Medicine Club, Empower Sports, and Recipe 4 Good. With the Columbus Free Clinic, I am a check-in volunteer so I check patients into the system and manage appointments. The CFC provides free medical services to the underserved and my involvement is one of the most fulfilling duties that I have. I performed similar duties at the Wexner Medical Center and University Hospitals by serving as a wayfinding escort for patients and visitors and providing comfort and assistance where necessary. The organizations that I am a part of allow me to partake in other community service that is less clinical. I am able to give back to the community in other ways that I enjoy such as working with children and volunteering at soup kitchens. I plan to continue engaging with the community by continuing in my participation in the activities that I currently participate in. If I find other activities where I can effectively and positively make an impact, I hope to be able to participate to continue my engagement with the community.

One thought on “Year in Review

1. Aretha, I hope this is you. Is your dad Lin and your mom Ping? I am Kate, I was your sitter and worked for your family in Aurora. I have been looking to stay in contact with Yenita and you. I miss you girls. If this is you, please reach out dear. I’ve been looking for you guys for over a decade. I always hoped you two girls were successful.

Yogimagick@gmail.com