My Artifact

In the weeks prior to November 6, I could feel a certain energy growing on both social media and Ohio State’s campus. From posters and signs to posts and sign-up sheets, it seemed like there was always someone encouraging us college students to vote in the upcoming 2018 midterm elections. After taking an American government course my senior year of high school as well as learning more about our civic responsibility first semester in an OSU first semester English course, I finally fully understood the importance of my generation participating in the political process; however, I wasn’t old enough to vote yet. Therefore, the midterm elections that were held in fall of 2018 were especially exciting for me because it was the first one in which I could participate. For my Artifact, I chose this pin seen above that I had received in one of my classes, which reads “O-H-I-Vote”. Moving away to college is a big step for any younger adult in independence and making important decisions for oneself, and getting to exercise my right to make important decisions for my country and my future was a fitting act for my first semester at college. I remember feeling like a part of something exciting walking into the Union to cast my ballot that afternoon while I stood in line with hundreds of other fellow students. While voting doesn’t seem like the most fun or exciting day that I’ve had at Ohio State so far (concerts with friends and football games win that category), Election Day was one of the most memorable days for me because it was an important indication in my first semester of college of my newly gained appreciation for the political process, capacity to make large decisions for myself, and independence by moving 2,000 miles from home.