Bridging the Classroom-workplace Gap: Leveraging Student Ingenuity to Create Authentic Learning Experiences
Loosen your grip on content creation without losing control of your objectives through student-generated digital course content and the principles of authentic learning.
Equip participants with a four-step design process to create an authentic course assignment in the online environment and a set of criteria to test the level of authenticity of any assignment.
- Describe the design process from initial conception to grading rubric for an innovative, authentic learning experience.
- Apply eight criteria to determine the degree of authenticity of an assignment.
In this Innovation Lab, you will:
- Explore examples of authentic assignment designs and assessment strategies
- Work through a four-step process to guide authentic design of an assignment
- Apply eight criteria to determine the level of authenticity of an assignment
- Choose learning technologies to support the authentic assignment
- Consider strategies for dealing with potential challenges to implementation of authentic learning
You will leave this session with:
- A four-step annotated guide to authentic assignment design
- Eight evidence-based criteria you can apply to any learning activity to determine its degree of authenticity
- A list of current learning technologies you might use to encourage student creativity and peer review and feedback
- A worked example of a grading rubric you can apply to your own authentic assignment