Join OSU Extension educators and state specialists for an all-day workshop covering topics every ruminant livestock producer needs to know from grazing and nutrition, livestock marketing, facilities, and housing. This event is slated to be held on Saturday, October 8th from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm at the OSU ATI Beef Center located at 2736 S. Apple Creek Road, Apple Creek, Ohio 44606. After lunch, those who have an interest in sheep or goats will depart to the Small Ruminant Research Unit located on Fredericksburg Road (5651 Fredericksburg Road, Wooster, Ohio 44691), while those focused on beef cattle will remain at the ATI Beef Center.
Afternoon training sessions will be species-specific that include hands-on training in animal care and handling, basic animal health, livestock evaluation, and much more.
Cost: $30 per person lunch Included.
Limited to first 40 Registrations.
Register at https://go.osu.edu/smallfarmruminantfieldday
- 9:00 Registration Opens
- 9:30 Welcome and Introductions
- 9:45 Morning Discussions:
- Nutrition and Forages
- Housing, ventilation, manure management
- Livestock marketing
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:15 Hands-on
- Efficiency (tools, equipment, and facilities)
- Record keeping
- Birthing supplies and simulators
- Sheep – demo shearing, drench gun, trimming feet, FAMACHA
- Beef – calving simulator, calf processing, BCS, cattle evaluation
We look forward to seeing you at the event!