TV Timeout

Image result for reenergize

I love waking up on Tuesday mornings and reading the Leadership Moment that’s published by The Ohio State University Leadership Center. You never know what it is going to include, but for some reason it always seems to fit my life scenario at the appropriate time.

This week’s feature is “Craft Your Dream into Your Job.” When I was teaching high school Agriculture Education and talking about careers and the future with the students, I always encouraged them to follow their dreams, even if their job took them away from “home” for a period of time. I told them they could always work their way back “home”, but it may not fit the time schedule they envision. I’ve seen many of my former students follow their dreams even if it took them to another land, a different part of the country or kept them right here at home.

Taking time to reflect, recharge and energize your personal batteries is important for every one of us in building our personal growth and spirit. Make and take time for yourself. Take a walk outside during the day, just take a break from the computer, phone and social media or take ten minutes to sit back in your chair, close your eyes and just relax. I like to call it my afternoon “TV timeout”.

In our office, we like to celebrate; be it birthdays, births, special occasions, reaching milestones, regardless of how big or small, we celebrate. We recognize, praise and encourage to lift the spirit of all.

This week’s Leadership Center article is below –
“Craft Your Dream into Your Job” by Rath, T. (2015). Are you fully charged?: The 3 keys to energizing your work and life. San Francisco: Silicon Guild.

“Every day you let something keep you from following a dream, you lose an opportunity to create meaning. However, few people find their ideal job on their first attempt. This is why chipping away at a dream in small steps can be deeply motivating.

You should be able to spend some time every day engaging in activities that energize and recharge you. This is an important distinction; it takes only a few moments to make a day more productive and fulfilling. Even in the worst situations, you can find opportunities for growth. The key is to shift your focus away from what others do that hinders you – or from work situations beyond your control – and instead seek out small things that enable you to make daily forward progress. You can always do something to boost the spirits of a colleague or customer, despite what is going on in other areas of your work.

Even if you are stuck in a job that is far from ideal, you have the ability to create a little meaning on the side. Volunteering in your community is a great way to spend meaningful time every month. This can also be a great way to explore new areas and interest that may turn into something larger down the road.”