So You’ve Decided to Garden….

Welcome Gardeners! Are you here to learn about the Ohio Victory Gardens program, have an interest in gardening or just plain curious about the talk of reviving a U.S tradition? No matter the reason, you are in the right place!

The purpose, of a Victory Garden, is to help in times of need. This could mean providing food or lifting our morale, creating bonds with one another and nature, or just to bring some fun in your life!

Here, folks from all garden walks of life, hope to share with you their insights, tips and ideas based on what they have learned from their successes, mistakes and others. Our hope is that we can help you learn to create a garden of any size in any place.

The seed giveaway through OSU Extension offices will help anyone get started! There is no time like the present to plant a fall garden. The seed packet contains a few different kinds of produce that will grow well this time of year – whether it’s full grown plants or even microgreens!

And if nothing else, we’re hoping gardening can give you a good hearty laugh and bring a little sunshine to your day.  Plants aren’t the only ones who need sunshine and a good environment to thrive.

Keep an eye on our blog, but also dig up our other pages that are full of “how to’s” and tons of resources that will help get your garden to where you want it to be!

Let’s get growing!

Colette Gabriel
Laboratory Scientist
ODA Division of Plant Health

15 thoughts on “So You’ve Decided to Garden….

• Hi Kristen,

We are piloting the free seeds in 6 Ohio counties to prepare for a distribution next spring in all counties. Watch for information coming out next year. Thanks for visiting the site.

• what counties are they? I am in butler county and have started homesteading and would love free seeds to expand my garden. I went overboard raising meat and eggs and realized my garden needs to be much bigger. It has been really expensive to switch to raising my own food – any help is great

1. Hi Anita,

We are piloting the free seeds in 6 Ohio counties to prepare for a distribution next spring in all counties. Watch for information coming out next year.
    Thanks for visiting the site.

2. if you add Ashland County in 2021 I would love to have some help with free seeds! I am starting my homestead on 4 acres and I am very excited to start my own Victory Garden!!!