New Americans: Immigrants Ready to Take Their Place as U.S. Citizens

300x300_422376-1464716314-IAAI

June is Immigrant Heritage Month, and it is a time to celebrate the many cultures represented in our country’s society. While we celebrate the heritage of the millions of people living in the United States, we know that immigration remains to be a hot topic that is constantly being debated. Recently, I’ve noticed the media reporting about the increase in citizenship applications, and that new Americans are eager and excited to vote. As a naturalized citizen myself, I too shared the feelings of eagerness and excitement to be politically engaged after becoming a citizen in 2009. Raising my right hand before a federal judge and reciting my Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America is my proudest moment.

I had wanted to become a citizen in time for the 2008 presidential election. At the time I was a student at Bowling Green State University with a part-time job. The money from that job wasn’t enough to pay for the citizenship application. I had to get a second job in order to save enough to pay for the $700 cost of the citizenship test. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to become a citizen in time to participate in the election that year, but I was very excited to send in my voter registration form immediately after my oath ceremony.

I know that there are millions of other immigrants in this country who want to become citizens, but have a difficult time navigating the process. The bureaucracy involved in this extensive process to becoming an American is confusing and expensive. While there have been many efforts made to improve this process, there have also been many setbacks. Just last week the Supreme Court decided to block President’s Obama’s immigration plan with a 4-4 decision. This decision will have a detrimental impact on families and communities across our nation. By keeping immigration reform in limbo the Supreme Court has placed more uncertainty and fear upon a population who is simply trying to work hard and support their families. As a naturalized citizen, I get to live my American Dream everyday, but I’m disheartened by the fact that many others who are not yet citizens are living an immigration nightmare.

As a naturalized citizen, I believe it is important to celebrate both my heritage and the country that I call home. I am without a doubt proud to be Brazilian by birth, and American by choice. As I listen to the candidates talk about several issues during this election cycle, I will be paying close attention to their plans for fixing our broken immigration system. It is imperative that we elect a president who is knowledgeable on this issue, and who is intelligent and sophisticated enough to know that just building a wall along our Southern boarder is not an appropriate solution. I hope that others will participate in this debate and truly listen to the ideas to fixing this problem because at the end of the day our immigration laws impact all of us.

Editor’s Note: In response to Leo’s post, and in keeping with our mission to provide solutions to issues that our bloggers discuss, we propose the following for our readers to consider: 

> Stay informed. Read, watch, listen, and discuss immigration. The more information you pursue, the better equipped you will be to make decisions on the topic.

> To more fully understand how immigration impacts families and the consequences of enacted public policies on immigrants and refugees, consider volunteering with a non-profit organization dedicated to serving these populations. In Columbus, there are numerous organizations in which you can volunteer or learn more about immigrants and their families, some of which are CRIS, US Together-Columbus, and World Relief-Columbus.

> Contact the Columbus Community Relations Commission. According to their website, the CRC was created to recommend ways and means of initiating and improving city government programs designed to eliminate discrimination or to remove the effects of past discrimination. On Friday, July 8th, the CRC will be hosting a Lunch and Learn Series focusing on immigrants and refugees from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at 1111 East Broad Street. More information can be found at www.columbus.gov/crc/.

> Advocate: Contact your Congressman or Congresswoman and share your concerns on the country’s immigration system and urge your member to enact legislation. (****okay, this seems lame, but you see what we’re getting at here****)

Leo Almeida is a government relations professional who works and lives in the Columbus area.  Leo moved to Columbus after graduating from Bowling Green State University where he majored in Ethnic Studies and minored in Political Science.  He is currently a policy associate for an environmental non-profit organization.  He is also a community activist who spends most of his free time working with community groups and political campaigns.  Leo serves on the board of trustees for the Community Refugee and Immigration Services (CRIS), which provides numerous services to many immigrants and refugees in Franklin County.  He is also the Chairman of the Franklin County Adelante Democrats, an organization focused on Latino voters and the general Latino community in Central Ohio.