Norway Education Abroad: pre-departure reflection

I chose to enroll in the Norway experience because I have found a passion in directly learning about cultures different than my own. One idea that truly resonates with me is being hands-on in my learning experiences. As Dr. Morrison-Beedy writes in one of her posts:  “You have heard these words in the classroom and discussed them, but now it’s time to put them into action. Your ability to effectively interact with people of different cultures, integrating respect and responsiveness, will take you far in this experience and those that follow” (1). We have been lectured on topics such as culture competency, unbiased versus biased behavior in healthcare, and so on. For me personally, I can study and read all about these topics, but it requires visceral experiences to fully learn, understand, and then incorporate into my practice these ideas we are taught on paper. I am excited and prepared to have these experiences in my repertoire to care for future patients in the best manner possible.  I strive to become a well-rounded practitioner in not only my skill set, but also my overall understanding of unique human cultures and behaviors.

Image retrieved from: Winters, M-F. (2014). Cultural Competence – Part 4: You Have To Do The Work. The Inclusion Solution. Accessed 7 May 2019. http://www.theinclusionsolution.me/cultural-competence-part-4-you-have-to-do-the-work/

I believe my past experiences abroad will help me mentally, physically, and emotionally prepare for this trip. Having been outside of the United States a few times, I can personally attest to many of the advice points Dr. Morrison-Beedy describes. I also have an extremely go-with-the-flow attitude in matters I know I cannot control. I understand that it is very easy to get upset about delays, changes in plans, etc., but if there is nothing you can do to solve the problem, why waste brain power on it? Travel (and life) can be simplified by keeping calm and collected, realizing that there are many different ways to find the experience you are looking for. In addition, do not discount the numerous avenues in which you can learn from experiences. Every interaction or situation may not be the most enjoyable, but understanding and recognizing the information you can learn from can make any situation/experience meaningful.

Top of the Duomo in Florence- My first time out of the U.S. during a study abroad in high school to various cities in Italy (2013)

John Lennon Wall in Prague, Czech Republic- my second study abroad trip (2016)

I am looking forward to immersing myself in Norway!

(1) Morrison-Beedy, D. (2019, February 4). The top 10 things to pack (in your brain) for global education experiences. Retrieved from https://u.osu.edu/osuglobaltransformations/