Life After College

In the weeks leading up to graduation, I was very busy planning my post-graduate life. I applied to several different positions, arranged many interviews, and signed up to take the NCLEX at the earliest possible time. I met with my PCA/SNA (Patient Care Associate/Student Nurse Associate) manager to discuss interview tactics and was offered an interview for a position in the ICU Float Pool, the position I would eventually accept. Every new grad at OSU is placed in the residency program, which is a great resource. It meets monthly and allows time to speak with other new grads and discuss different topics relevant to healthcare.

I am currently entering into my second year as an RN and have several goals, some of which I’ve already met. I’m currently a ULC (Unit Leadership Council) member, organizing education, fundraising, and social events for my unit. In addition, I’m helping to educate and precept new staff. I’m studying for my CCRN (Critical Care Registered Nurse) exam, which provides additional certification in critical care.

I think it’s important to have a plan or a list of goals you’re hoping to accomplish. It’s okay if your plan changes frequently because you will change in the course of your career. Stay true to your values and have faith in yourself and your abilities.