An experience from this past semester that was particularly memorable was learning how to code in MatLab for the first time. I have wanted to know how to code for a while because of the many interesting applications coding has. It is so satisfying to me to see a problem, create a flowchart to organize my thoughts, code my solution in MatLab, and ultimately experience success in solving the problem. I believe that the ability to code and use MatLab will be valuable skills that will serve as assets to me throughout my time as an undergraduate and into my future career as a mechanical engineer.
[ “Year in Review” is where you should reflect on the past year and show how you have evolved as a person and as a student. You may want to focus on your growth in a particular area (as a leader, scholar, researcher, etc.) or you may want to talk about your overall experience over the past year. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email email@example.com. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]
[ “G.O.A.L.S.” is a place where students write about how their planned, current, and future activities may fit into the Honors & Scholars G.O.A.L.S.: Global Awareness, Original Inquiry, Academic Enrichment, Leadership Development, and Service Engagement. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Delete these instructions and add your own post.
- Global Awareness: Students cultivate and develop their appreciation for diversity and each individual’s unique differences. For example, consider course work, study abroad, involvement in cultural organizations or activities, etc.
- Original Inquiry: Honors & Scholars students understand the research process by engaging in experiences ranging from in-class scholarly endeavors to creative inquiry projects to independent experiences with top researchers across campus and in the global community. For example, consider research, creative productions or performances, advanced course work, etc.
- Academic Enrichment: Honors & Scholars students pursue academic excellence through rigorous curricular experiences beyond the university norm both in and out of the classroom.
- Leadership Development: Honors & Scholars students develop leadership skills that can be demonstrated in the classroom, in the community, in their co-curricular activities, and in their future roles in society.
- Service Engagement: Honors & Scholars students commit to service to the community.]
[“Career” is where you can collect information about your experiences and skills that will apply to your future career. Like your resume, this is information that will evolve over time and should be continually updated. For more guidance on using your ePortfolio, including questions and prompts that will help you get started, please visit the Honors & Scholars ePortfolio course in Carmen. To get answers to specific questions, please email email@example.com. Delete these instructions and add your own post.]
Additionally, the process of learning to play it has taught me perseverance. From learning the basics—like how to read notes in treble clef—to learning more advanced technique—like maintaining a confident yet soft volume in Åses Død—I never settled and worked tirelessly to improve.
My proudest moment with my violin was when I finally mastered the solo in the first movement of Vivaldi’s Spring. It was the years of practice, perseverance, and motivation that allowed me to reach where I am today.
My name is Leah Norton and I am a current undergraduate student at The Ohio State University pursuing a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering. Some of the areas I am most interested in within engineering include FEA, aeronautics, and national defense. My goal as a university student is to gain the knowledge and skillset that will prepare me for a career in these areas.
Outside of engineering, I love traveling, learning about other cultures, playing my violin, writing, and going snowboarding with my family. I love seeking opportunities to meet new people, gain unique experiences, and experience personal growth. It is my hope that my personal experiences will contribute to who I am as an engineer, and that my engineering experiences will continue to culture me as a person. I look forward to my future experiences as a Mechanical Engineer at the university level and beyond!
[The Home Page will show a running blog of your recent posts, which are categorized and show on that category’s page. Please delete this post or edit with your own information.]