Final Reflection

I learned so much this semester and honestly enjoyed this course more than I originally thought that I would.  Going through the content each week kept myself in check with my own opinions and biases. What I learned about myself as I have progressed through this course is that I definitely have/had biases about individuals who illegally use drugs. This course has made me confront those opinions that I didn’t really notice that I have and learn to work through them, keeping in mind that addiction really is a disease.

The topic that I found most interesting was the information included in the Module 3 content on Brain Chemistry and the Brain Reward System.  Specifically, I saved the video “Addiction Neuroscience 101” that was given in our Module 3 content.  I even sent this video to a few people to have them watch it. I think this video is what finally clicked for me with how addiction really is a disease that completely warps one’s brain in every aspect. The topic that I found to be the most uncomfortable was surrounded around how hard it is for individuals with substance use disorders to get treatment.  Between the lack of resources to help them, to a lack of providers that are able to prescribe medications that are needed to treat addiction, and to a general stigma that most of the country has towards these individuals, this all makes getting adequate treatment so incredibly hard for most of them.

I will carry a lot of what I have learned in this course into my future practice as a nurse. Most importantly, I want to adopt my new understanding of making sure to stop and listen to everyone’s story before making judgements about anyone.  Every single person has a story and hidden troubles that we can’t see from the outside. Pausing in my practice, will allow me to remember that we are all humans and everyone deserves to be treated with empathy and love.