Adios Nicaragua!

Overall my trip to Nicaragua was truly a life changing experience, one that I suggest every experience if given the opportunity. Most of what I’ve discussed in my entries has made Nicaragua sound like a well developed place to live but that is not at all the case.

Things aren’t always sweet in Nicaragua. The informal economy makes it so that people can survive but this does not mean that they’re thriving and most of those who do have legitimate jobs still make less than some of the poorest Americans.

In my opinion one of the biggest problems in Nicaragua is the lack of government support for companies and organizations. All of the organizations and agencies that we attended had great ideas and implemented everything that they could but without government support and funding, being completely successful can be a challenge. My trip to Nicaragua was one that taught me more than I ever expected to learn. I now understand that I am extremely privileged and that I should be using my privilege to help others succeed. The biggest example of this was at the Children’s hospital. Seeing how underdeveloped the facilities were made me sad yet motivated to help the people of Nicaragua.

This study abroad trip wouldn’t have been nearly as successful without the guidance and support of Ruth, Cesar, the CGE house, and Hector (our amazing driver). I hope they all know how truly thankful I am for them taking this journey with us.

But while everything is not great in Nicaragua, Antonio from Casa de la Sonrisas said it best: In Nicaragua you will see a lot of poverty and in the United States you will see a lot of misery.

Just because times are tough for the people of Nicaragua, they always find a way and never lose sight of what matters.

Thank you for everything Nicaragua

Love Always,

Lauren