Illustrator: Hidden Figures Movie Poster

Hidden Figures is a movie based on the nonfiction book by Margol Lee Shetterrly about the female of color mathematicians working for NASA. Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson broke the norm on what women as a whole and women of color can achieve. Not only does this film depict women of color as strong and capable, but it finally gives credit to person with the biggest role in sending Apollo 11 to space. Katherine Johnson finally gets her recognition that is long overdue. That is why I chose to make a movie poster for my Illustrator class. Using a similar scheme to the original poster, I wanted to represent a “brighter day.” The outlines of each characters’ hair and eyebrow features are uniquie to each actress playing the role, but I left out the eyes, mouths and nose, to show that no matter how these women may have looked, their achievements are more important; hence the rocket in the back. It was very difficult to draw in Illustrator, but I some how managed and this poster was produced.