Feed the Funnel Volunteering

On October 4th this year I stayed up late from 10:30 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. and participated in a service project called Feed the Funnel. The organization that put this project on is called The Pack Shack. I learned about this amazing organization and opportunity through my fellow DSWS members. This organization works to help put food on the tables of those who are less fortunate. The Pack Shack also serves to educate the public on food insecurity and what we can do to give back. During the two and a half hours we spent volunteering we packaged meals for those in need. There were a multitude of jobs that could be done, including, packaging the rice, weighing the bags, adding in various extras and sealing the boxes. I was assigned to weighing the bags. Overall, the entire service project had a large impact on the community. We were able to package 100,000 meals for families in Ohio who are food insecure. This allowed those families to have at least one day that they did not have to stress about where their next meal was coming from.  As a result of my service during this I learned how fortunate I am to have what I have. On a daily basis I often do not think about how I am going to get my next meal. I fortunately have the luxury to go and get it whenever I want. For so many this is not the case. As a leader, this experience has impacted the way I view the resources and opportunities I have available to me. Because of this service learning opportunity I am a more thankful leader.