All youth enrolled in a horse project (except Project #173 Horseless Horse) must complete a Muskingum County Horse Education Program.
All first-time horse project participants should read 191R Horses, Safety and You. Books are available for purchase by club volunteers at the Extension Office for $6.
Certification can be obtained in one of two ways:
1) Youth can participate in an in-person session provided by OSU Extension.
- Youth should plan to arrive early, as youth will not receive credit for attending if they arrive more than 10 minutes after the program starts. Attendance will be taken at the beginning and end of each session.
- Parent attendance is not required, but encouraged.
May 7, 9-10:30 a.m. (Livestock Clinic to follow)
2) Youth can complete Ohio 4-H’s EquiSTEP program.
The online course is housed on ScarletCanvas and is run by the State 4-H Office.
Enroll in the course: go.osu.edu/2022equistep
- Each member must sign up for the course with a unique e-mail address.
- Select ‘Modules’ to see the 5 steps.
- Watch the video(s) that correspond with each step.
- Complete the quiz associated with the training. You need to score at least a 7 out of 10 to pass the training.
- After scoring at least a 7 out of 10 on the quiz, complete the Certificate of Completion/Course Evaluation Survey. Both you and your county 4-H professional will be emailed a certificate that notes you have completed the EquiSTEP training.
All Muskingum County Youth must complete the Horse Education Program requirement by June 15.