The Rabbit Committee would love assistance in cleaning and setting up the barn on Saturday, August 4. They will begin at 9 a.m. and continue until they are finished.
All families with rabbit exhibitors are encourage to attend and help! Many hands make light work! Let’s make this year the best turn out yet!
Important reminder for Junior Fair Exhibitors: Each exhibitor must show and sell his/her own animals. Animals shown for judging or sale by anyone other than the exhibitor will not be allowed, except by special arrangement with the Barn Superintendents in advance. Only another Muskingum County Junior Fair exhibitor can show the animal. Exhibitors must complete the Alternate Exhibitor Request form and submit it at their species barn meeting. Each species Barn Superintendent must have a copy.
Medical related requests must be accompanied a doctor’s note. If a request for an alternate exhibitor is made and approved for medical reasons, the exhibitor’s status cannot change during fair week.
Download the form.
2018 4-H Calendar
2018 Muskingum County 4-H Family Handbook
2018 Junior Fair Rules
Cloverbud Barn to Barn and Show and Tell Registration Deadline – August 1
The deadline to register for two Cloverbud events being hosted by the Junior Fair Board is August 1.
To register for Barn to Barn, please complete the registration form and submit to our office.
To register for Cloverbud Show & Tell, please call the office or e-mail Stefanie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Junior Fair Parade Entry Form Deadline – August 1
Any Junior Fair Organizations or Royalty/Ambassadors wishing to enter the Junior Fair Parade must submit the entry form by August 1.
Junior Fair Building Set Up Times – August 9 and 11
Booths – Set up will be on Thursday, August 9 from 3-8 p.m. and Saturday, August 11, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Still Project Displays for Miscellaneous Booth – Members in clubs without booths can display their still projects along the east side of the Junior Fair Building in the miscellaneous area. Projects for the Miscellaneous Booth will be accepted Thursday, August 9 from 3-8 p.m. and Saturday, August 11, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. and must be signed in upon arrival.
Muskingum County Fair – August 12-18
The OSU Extension-Muskingum County Office will be closed during fair week as our staff will be at the Fair. The Junior Fair Office phone number is 740-452-0711. For complete fair schedule, download the Fair Book.
As a reminder, the following paperwork is due August 1 and will be required for Club Volunteers to pick up wristband packets (which will be available August 1). Both documents are available on our website: 4-H Youth Development>Club Resources. Look under the heading “Club Organizational Forms.”
- Incomplete Member Form (if applicable to your club)
- Cloverbud Activities Sheet (if applicable to your club)
Reminder, incomplete members are not eligible for Muskingum County Fair exhibition and should not be issued a fair wristband.
Note: There will not be a completion form due during the Muskingum County Fair this year.
4-H Cloverbuds at the Fair!
- Cloverbud Show and Tell: Sunday, August 12, 2018; 1:00PM under the Entertainment Tent
- To register for Cloverbud Show and Tell, please call the Muskingum County 4-H Office at 740-454-0144. There is no registration form for this event. Pre-registration is highly recommended to make sure we have enough good bags for all our participants.
- Clover Coloring Contest: Tuesday, August 14, 2018; 2:00PM in the Junior Fair Building, Cloverbud Booth
- Meet a Firefighter: Wednesday, August 15, 2018; 2:00PM in the Junior Fair Building, Cloverbud Booth
- Muskingum County Sheriff K-9 Demonstration: Thursday, August 16, 2018; 10:00AM in the Junior Fair Building, Cloverbud Booth
The 2019 Muskingum County Junior Fair Livestock Committee Application is now available.
To be eligible for Livestock Committee Adult Membership:
- Potential applicant must submit a completed Junior Fair Livestock Committee Application by 4:30 p.m. on September 15, 2018 to email@example.com or drop off at OSU Extension Muskingum County, 225 Underwood Street, Zanesville, OH 43701.
- If elected as a 2019 Junior Fair Livestock Committee member and the applicant is not a current 4-H adult Volunteer, the applicant must be willing and able to complete the 4-H Volunteer Approval process to become an approved volunteer by March 2019.
To remain a member of the committee, members must complete the following list of requirements:
- Member will call the President or Extension Office for an excused absence; three unexcused absences will serve as a member’s resignation from the committee.
- Member must assist with Livestock Quality Assurance or Livestock Skillathon.
- Member must help with pre-fair weigh-in, fair weigh-in, shows and barn meetings.
Application Due: By 4:30 p.m. on September 15, 2018.
Theme: “Stand Out with Dairy”
Size: 11”x14” (1/4 of a full sheet of Poster board)
Age Groups: 8-10; 11-13; 14-18 (as of Jan 1, 2018) and Cloverbuds
Cash Prizes: 1st– $20; 2nd – $15; 3rd – $10
Theme must be included on the front of the poster.
All entries are eligible for a coupon for a free bowl of ice cream.
Cloverbuds are eligible for a coupon for a free bowl of ice cream, but no prize money issued.
Prize money must be picked up at the Ice Cream barn after the Bossy’s Jug Auction on Tuesday, August 14th and before the end of the fair.
Posters should be dropped off by end of day on Sunday, August 12th in the Coliseum.
Correction to the misprint on the booth request form:
Junior Fair Booths can be set up and projects dropped off for the 4-H Miscellaneous Booth on Thursday, August 9 from 3:00 – 8:00 p.m. and Saturday, August 11 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Booths and projects must be in place by 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 11. Projects turned in after that time will not receive a premium.
These are the same dates and times as in the past.
Livestock Skillathon will take place on Tuesday, July 17 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at the Veteran’s Building on the Fairgrounds. Important details, including assigned club times and study topics can be found in the Muskingum County 4-H Family Handbook starting on page 16. Junior Fair Board members will be selling light snacks and bottled water throughout the day as a fundraiser – please consider supporting them!
Youth who completed a Winning 4-H Plan Request this year should have received a Winning 4-H Plan Accommodations form in the mail. Please be sure to attach the form inside the front cover of the youth’s project book(s) to aid the judge.
Final scores will not be announced to youth that day. Clubs will receive a score report for all youth who participate in the Livestock Skillathon in their pre-fair packets.
Youth earning a score of 90 or above at Skillathon will receive Superior recognition at the fair. Those earning Superior ratings will be eligible to compete for age division winner and overall species winner.
Participation in Skillathon is required to compete for Outstanding Exhibitor Awards. These awards are given in two categories, market and non-market, for all eligible species. To place more emphasis on the educational value of livestock shows and to reward youth for their knowledge and skills associated with the project, youth receive points based on their Skillathon score, showmanship placing and live animal placing. Four age division winners and an overall species winner will receive awards during the fair.
As previously announced, the Muskingum County Junior Fair swine schedule has changed for 2018.
The 2018 Muskingum County Junior Fair Swine schedule is:
||Monday, August 13
||9:00PM – Tuesday 8:00AM
||Tuesday, August 14
||Tuesday, August 14
||Wednesday, August 15
||Thursday, August 16
||Friday, August 17
||Friday, August 17
Please pay close attention to the following details to make your arrival and participation in the swine activities during the Muskingum County Junior Fair a smooth and rewarding experience for your 4-H member.
- All tack must be in place by Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 8:00AM
- Swine Barn Meeting will be held on Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:00PM (NOTE: new time)
- Arrival time: Monday, August 13, 2018, 9:00PM through Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 8:00AM (NOTE: only 11 hours)
- Enter Fairgrounds at Gate 4 – Pershing Road.
- Exit Fairgrounds at Gate 5 – Eppley Ave.
- Refer to map below for traffic flow directions.
- Wash rack will be closed beginning at 8:00am on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 and will reopen after weigh-in.
Please refer to the map below for entrance and exit locations. As a reminder, there will be NO charge for parking when trucks with trailers bring in livestock, but trailers must LEAVE after livestock is unloaded.
Click photo to enlarge.
Click photo to enlarge.