First-Time Camp Counselors Learn New Skills

I just finished observing our first year camp counselors put their creativity and artistic skills to work while discussing the qualities of a great camp counselor. For the third year, I had a meeting with just first-timers to give them the opportunity to get to know each other better while learning about the roles and responsibilities of being a camp counselor. I’m excited to have eight new counselors on board this year!

We talked about why we have camp (FOR THE CAMPERS), what campers gain from coming to camp, providing customer service to parents, transitioning from the camper to counselor role and much more!

One of my favorite parts of this meeting is having parents of campers and current counselors come to the meeting to give the new counselors advice. Parents have the opportunity to share how they feel sending their child to camp, what their child might be nervous about and what they expect from their camp counselor. Counselors share challenges in transitioning to the counselor role, ways to prepare for camp and much more! Thanks to Sarah Dosch and Melissa Lynn (parents) as well as counselors Kailey Lindsley and Jesse Vernon for joining us this evening!