A Reflection of My First Semester

To be quite honest, my first semester didn’t go as well as I had anticipated. In high school, I took all AP and honors classes and received only As. Coming into college, I expected it to be the same way. At first, it was. All of my classes were review, there was little homework, and all of the quizzes were simple. The first round of midterms was simple and I got great scores. However, it all of a sudden got a lot harder. The homework began to pile up and the content started getting harder. Unfortunately, the rest of my midterms didn’t go too well, and neither did my finals. I ended with grades in chemistry and math that were not what I had hoped for, and those two classes made up 10 of my 13.5 credits, so it really impacted my GPA. Even though my GPA is not great right now, I have learned a valuable lesson from this semester. When things got hard this semester, I never got the free tutoring OSU offers or went to office hours. Since my grades didn’t end up where I wanted them, it’s made me realize that I need to put more work into my schoolwork. Doing homework and studying is not enough. I need to be going to office hours, meet with my TAs, and going to free tutoring, even if I don’t feel like I need it. If I work hard and utilize my resources this upcoming semester, I think that I can improve my grades.