Contact Us

We’re here to help!

For general MSW questions: E-mail msw@osu.edu or call 614-292-2972. Emails will be answered within 24-48 hours Monday through Friday.

For Field Education related questions: E-mail cswfield@osu.edu or call 614-292-7686

Theresa Hazelwood, MSW, LISW-S

Director of MSW Program

Email:hazelwood.19@osu.edu

About Theresa:

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

What do you like most about The Ohio State University?

What I like most about The Ohio State University is the prestige that the university holds. The Ohio State University has been known as an educational leader for over a century. Additionally, the university has a large alumni body. So, no matter where you go, you will always be able to find another Buckeye.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure?

I love a good murder mystery. One of my go-to channels is the Crime ID. However, my favorite movie is The Color Purple. In terms of food, my palate does not discriminate except for chocolate. My favorite book is the Native Son by Richard Wright.

What is one piece of advice you have for graduate social work students?

Practice self-care! Be sure to carve out time to do the things you love. This will help you get into the practice of doing so once you are in your career.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
― Maya Angelou

Brittany Ward, MSW, LISW-S

MSW Program Assistant Director

Email: ward.787@osu.edu

About Brittany:

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

What do you like most about The Ohio State University? I really enjoy walking around campus during different seasons. The sceneries are amazing to view. My favorite season is fall so walking around the oval during this season is my absolute favorite.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician? I enjoy binge watching Netflix shows. One of my favorite channels is HGTV and anything related to interior design. My favorite food of all time is pizza and pretty much all Italian food. My guilty pleasure is traveling (not sure that that counts, but I love it). I really enjoy seeing the world and learning about different cultures. I am currently reading Becoming by Michelle Obama. It’s so hard to pick one favorite musician but I really enjoy listening to 90s R&B and the hot 100 charts.

What is one piece of advice you have for graduate social work students? Graduate school can be challenging but it’s also very rewarding. Utilize all of the resources available to you. As one of my mentors always says, “trust the process” and enjoy the journey. When things get tough, think about your why and all of the people who are waiting for you to come and help.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” -Nelson Mandela

QuJuan J. Twilley, MSW, LSW 

MSW Outreach Program Coordinator

Email: twilley.4@osu.edu

About QuJuan: 

Pronouns: He/Him/His

What do you like most about The Ohio State University?  I enjoy the pride that the students/alumni have at OSU; it’s impressive.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician? My favorites movies are Forrest Gump and Gone Girl. My favorite TV shows are “How to Get Away with Murder” and “Prison Break,” although they both have come to an end. I enjoy Soul food, Italian food, and Mexican food. My guilty pleasures are cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory and reality tv.

What is one piece of advice you have for graduate social work students?  You should be proud of your academic journey; especially because it is no small feat. I challenge you to continue to walk into your purpose and to remember your reason for pursuing higher education. I know that will keep you grounded and inspired.

Share one of your favorite quotes.  

“Don’t ever let someone tell you, you can’t do something. You got a dream… you got to protect it. People can’t do something themselves; they want to tell you; you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period. – Christopher Gardner

Kelsey Hopkins, MSW, MPA

Student Success Partner

Email: hopkins.800@osu.edu

About Kelsey: 

Pronouns: she/her/hers

I love the camaraderie of OSU and knowing that in both academics and athletics (I love football) we are all on a similar mission to change the world.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician.

I really like mystery and suspense/thriller movies although I don’t have a favorite. My favorite TV show is whatever I happen to be watching on Netflix or Hulu. I recently read the “The Other Black Girl” by Zakiya Dalila Harris and I really enjoyed it. I’m a pretty picky eater but I’m becoming more adventurous, and I have always liked most Mexican food. My guilty pleasure is probably watching Married at First Sight and debating it with my friends. Currently, my favorite musician is H.E.R.

It’s important to remember that “it’s never that serious”. While you should absolutely be dedicated to your social work education, don’t take everything so seriously that you forget to enjoy the journey, take time to explore, and learn all that you can during this time.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

“Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” Audre Lorde

Antwanette Brown, MSW, LISW

MSW Program Advisor, Academic Counselor

Email: brown.4396@osu.edu

About Antwanette: 

Pronouns: she/her/hers

What I like most about The Ohio State University is the increased awareness and intentional Diversity and Inclusion of African American Women in Administrative positions.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician? 

My favorite movie is Love and Basketball. I enjoy TV shows that make me laugh and require very little thought like King of Queens, Everybody loves Raymond, and Big Bang Theory. My favorite book, although controversial, The 48 Laws of Power, by Robert Greene. My guilty pleasure is having late night concerts in my living room, with the windows open, singing at the top of my lungs; various songs by my favorite musician Gerald Levert (RIP).

Be the kind of social worker you want caring for you when you’re Aging, and your Health is going badly. Be the kind of social worker you can trust to take care of your Children and Youth. Be the kind of social worker who will treat your best friend with dignity and respect, although, they struggle with Mental Health and Substance Misuse. Lastly, be the kind of social worker when you see, hear, or feel something is unfair; you are willing to fight for the Community through Social Justice. Know your area of emphasis and be the best social worker you can be.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

“I am America. I am the part you won’t recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me.” – Muhammad Ali

Carillon Young, MSW

MSW Program Advisor, Academic Counselor

Email: young.3133@osu.edu

About Carillon: 

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

What do you like most about The Ohio State University? I love the sense of pride in community here! The campus is absolutely beautiful, I love taking walks here whenever I have the chance.

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician?  One of my favorite movies is The Color Purple, the book (Alice Walker) is saddening and beautiful, but I really love how the story came to life in film through Walker’s writing. My favorite book right now is Such a Fun Age by Kylie Reid. I love all things Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and West African! I can’t choose I’m a true foodie. My favorite musician is Beyonce hands down, I am proud a Beyhive member and have been a fan since Destiny’s Child.

What is one piece of advice you have for graduate social work students? Graduate school is just one part of your life, an important part that can feel all consuming, but it’s just one aspect of your life. Find a system to stay organized and accountable, but never forget to pour back into yourself to find peace. Remember to be kind to yourself, be gentle with yourself, and take the time you need to care for your mental health, your family, your animals, and other priorities in your life. There will always be more work to do, but it can’t be done (or done well) if you are functioning from an energy deficit. You need you to get through this program! Give yourself grace, always.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

“Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin, No Name in the Street

Carly Zehr, MSW

MSW Program Advisor, Academic Counselor

Email: zehr.8@osu.edu

About Carly:

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

What do you like most about The Ohio State University? I love experiencing the energy on campus when the students are present!

What is your favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician? I love the shows Scrubs, New Girl, The Great British Bakeoff, and Chefs Table. My favorite movie is either Amelie or Chicken Run. When it comes to food, I’m always in the mood for a thin crust pizza and mint chocolate chip ice cream from Graeters. I take pleasure in traveling, discovering ‘hole in the wall’ places, and free admission to our Columbus Museum of art on Sunday’s! My favorite book is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi and for music, I find myself liking a little bit of everything depending on the season and my mood. Currently you can find me listening to HAIM, Yoke Lore, and H.E.R

What is one piece of advice you have for graduate social work students? As someone who has recently graduated from our MSW program, class of 2023 to be exact, I can confidently tell you that it will all be worth it! Walking across the stage last week I saw my parents and friends in the crowd and took a moment to reflect on my amazing support system and the accomplishment of receiving my degree. It wasn’t easy but it was worth it. Know when to lean into your friends and family, reach out to our program office when you’re feeling stuck, and allow yourself to get to know your peers and professors they have so much to offer.

Share one of your favorite quotes.

“Our radical imagination is a tool for decolonization, for reclaiming our right to shape our lived reality.”
― Adrienne Maree Brown

Nia Beulah, MSW, LSW

MSW Community Partnership Liaison/ College and Regional Recruiting and Enrollment

Email: beulah.3@osu.edu

About Nia:

My pronouns are: she/her/hers

What I like most about The Ohio State University: I really enjoy how beautiful the campus is during the Fall and Spring seasons. OSU has a wide alumni base as well; you can travel all over and meet fellow Buckeye’s. Last but not least, I love OSU football!

My favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician: I don’t have a “favorite” movie or show, but I love to watch standup comedy specials on Netflix! I am currently reading “How To Do The Work” by Dr. Nicole Lepera; the last book I read that I would consider my favorite is “The Four Agreements” by Don Miguel Ruiz. I love soul food, Italian food, and anything my mother cooks! I would say my guilty pleasure is reality tv (my friends and I are currently addicted to watching Love Island UK). My favorite musician and artist of all time is Stevie Wonder, although I love to listen to 90’s R&B and HipHop.

A piece of advice for graduate social work students: Prioritize yourself and your needs! There is no gain to accomplishing all the requirements for grad school but neglecting yourself in the process. Take self-care seriously, stay organized and focused! Remember why you decided to become a social worker. Lean on friends, family, and the MSW team for support and accountability.

One of my favorite quotes: “Any time you beg another man to set you free, you will never be free. Freedom is something that you have to do for yourselves.” – Malcom X

Stephanie McGuire, MSW, LISW-S

MSW Program Advisor

Email: mcguire.420@osu.edu

About Stephanie:

My pronouns are: she/her/hers

What I like most about The Ohio State University: 

OSU is a great source of pride and progress in our community and across the state. We are a Top 50 university, our campus is beautiful, and our athletics are consistently among the best. Go Bucks!

My favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician: 

My music taste is all over the charts, but I love singer-songwriters – from Elton John to Patty Griffin, Taylor Swift to Burna Boy – this list could go on endlessly! My guilty pleasures include DoorDash, giving too much attention and credit to astrology, and hoarding SkyMiles. And in the battle of pizza versus tacos, I don’t know why we must choose.

A piece of advice for graduate social work students:  

Be kind to yourself. You will learn a lot about your own inner life during your graduate studies and your future career in social work. Make the most of these opportunities to be curious and explore your personal strengths, challenges and motivations. Practice observing your life with honesty, but don’t forget that you also deserve the same compassion you give to others. The kindness you learn to foster toward yourself will naturally grow and extend outward, and your relationships, communities, and future clients will all benefit.

One of my favorite quotes: “What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places – and there are so many – where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.” – Howard Zinn 

April Martinez

CSW Graduate Associate

Email: martinez.757@osu.edu

About April:

What I like most about The Ohio State University: I really enjoy walking on campus and looking at all the campus/Columbus history.

My favorite movie/TV show/book/food/guilty pleasure/musician: I love movies and tv shows but a few of my favorite shows are Ted Lasso, Community, and Casa de Papel (Money Heist). My favorite music genre is Cumbia and some of my favorite artists are Lil Wayne, Los Angeles Azules, and Mother Mother. One of my favorite books is Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes and I love any R.L Stine book.

A piece of advice for graduate social work students: Graduate school is a challenging journey, but it’s essential to remember that you’re not alone in this endeavor. One of the best strategies to navigate the difficulties that come with graduate school is to consistently engage and seek support. Just show up whether it’s attending class or reaching out to your advisor, taking that first step can make a world of difference. Once you do, you’ll find yourself feeling more confident, and you’ll discover that there is a world of people ready and willing to offer their support along the way.

One of my favorite quotes: “We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community… Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.” – Cesar Chavez