The Master of Science in Nursing specialty for Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) prepares M.S. in Nursing graduates to practice as an expert practitioner in a specialized area of nursing with expanded authority and autonomy. The CNS focuses on improving patient care and nursing practice and serves in a multitude of roles. CNS’s can provide highly specialized, expert nursing care, serve as the clinical specialty expert for a particular unit or service line, or serve in other roles such as clinical coordination, case management, staff and patient education, or hold staff roles in nursing research. Graduates in this specialty can be certified as a CNS in Adult Health by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
The Adult-Gerontology CNS is only available as part of the Traditional Master’s option. This specialty is not available as part of the Graduate Entry option.
- Nursing 7403: Innovation Leadership in Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
- Nursing 7483: Quality Improvement and Informatics (3)
- Nursing 7491: Health Promotion and Disease Prevention across the Life Span (3)
- Nursing 7500: Health Policy and Advocacy (2)
- Nursing 7780: Evidence Based Nursing Scholarship (3)
Other required courses
- Nursing 7410: Advanced Health Assessment (3)
- Nursing 7450: Pathophysiology of Altered Health States (5)
- Nursing 7470: Advanced Pharmacology in Nursing (4)
- Nursing 7378.01: Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Practicum I (10 credit hours; 3 credits didactic, 7 credits clinical which equals 262.5* precepted clinical hours)
- Nursing 7378.02: Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Practicum II (10 credit hours; 3 credits didactic, 7 credits clinical which equals 262.5* precepted clinical hours)* These are the minimum hours required
Use the hyperlinked list to ensure you have taken all of the courses required for your specialty. Your advisor will conduct a final review when you apply to graduate. Students must have completed these courses or have a Nursing Graduate Studies Committee-approved Course Waiver petition on file.
Standard curriculum plans