2020-2021 Reflection

Amidst the challenges during the pandemic, I thank the extraordinary community and healthcare teams supporting our health and safety. I am inspired by their efforts and grateful for the opportunity to continue my education.

It’s hard to describe my sense of wonder learning about foundational topics in the courses Cellular/Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience. Eager to explore, I realized that many concepts are still emerging; This motivated me to pursue additional coursework and research in the field with the hopes of improving our understanding of neurological disorders. Taking Quantitative Neuroscience, I was happily surprised by how dynamical systems and bifurcation theory can be applied to computational models in neurobiology: Working with my friends from computer science and mathematics backgrounds, I enjoyed adopting a system of differential equations and presenting our final project analyzing how dysregulation of glial potassium buffering could produce spike patterns characteristic of epilepsy.

Outside of core neuroscience classes, I am enthusiastic to apply my interests: As part of Biomedical Science Lab Techniques, I took pride in sharing about the principles and growing applications of optogenetics. For our team ethics project, I discussed the history, precautions, and therapeutic promise of brain-machine interfaces. As I work towards a Neuroscience minor and begin graduate-level coursework, I am fascinated by the complexity and principles of the nervous system, especially during development. I am greatly appreciative of the opportunities to probe this frontier with guidance from insightful mentors and collaborating with passionate research teams (check out “Research” to learn more).

From shadowing in the operating room to observing in the clinic, I appreciate the importance of translating basic science findings for treating refractory patients and renewing hope with personalized interventions. The motivation to improve health outcomes by bridging my interests in neuroscience and caring for patients underlies my career endeavors. Through contributing to and leading service initiatives, I strive to address social determinants of health and serve communities, many of which have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19, by improving access to quality educational and medical resources (visit “Service” for more).

As I enter my junior year looking forward to build on these initiatives, I realize there is still a lot more to learn: I reflect on this as a meaningful opportunity for further growth in my last two years of undergrad and continued support of my community.