Autumn Explore Columbus

For Maddy and my autumn semester Explore Columbus Activity, we went to the Angry Baker Café and Bakery.  The Angry Baker has two locations, one in the Short North and another in Olde Town East.  Today, we visited the Short North location.  One of the many passions Maddy and I both enjoy is baking.  When I first met Maddy at the ACES Mentorship Speed-Dating event, we connected by sharing all the various creations we had baked through the years.  Maddy and I thought visiting a bakery together for our first Explore Columbus Activity would be a wonderful opportunity to explore a local establishment rooted in an activity we both love.  We were both looking forward to spending time together, getting to know each other better, trying delicious local baked goods, and having a new experience in Columbus together.

This afternoon, Maddy and I rode the COTA bus from campus to the Short North.  The Angry Baker is located at 1247 N High St., a little way south of the Kroger and by Condado, so the bus ride from south campus was not too long.  Riding the COTA bus in an experience in of itself, as it is a very urban experience to use public transportation. After getting off the bus at the stop at Clarke Pl., we walked about a block to get to the Angry Baker location.

The Short North location is an adorable small bakery.  With warm green walls and brightly colored chalkboard displays, the Angry Baker created a cozy atmosphere to all those excited to purchase some fun pastries.  Decorating the bakery, there were cute cartoon desserts making funny comments, such as “Bite Me!”  There were two large cases full of baked goodies.  From baked donuts, homemade pop tarts, and croissants, to brownies, cookies, and cupcakes, the Angry Baker had a wide selection of uniquely flavored pastries and desserts.  It was difficult to decide what we were going to order because there were so many options, and everything looked absolutely amazing.  Maddy purchased an Oreo brownie and a cinnamon bun pull-apart muffin to share with her roommate, while I got a very chocolatey croissant. The pastries were so delicious and reasonably priced.

Since, there were no tables or places to sit to enjoy the baked goodies at the Short North location and the fall weather was so perfect, Maddy and I decided to take a stroll through the Short North. We enjoyed taking in the urban setting with all the amazing, brightly colored murals and one-of-a-kind local shops.  It was wonderful to have a time to just chat with Maddy to see how her first semester was going and talk about her plans for the upcoming fall break.  Because the warm, sunny weather was so enjoyable, Maddy and I made the fifteen-minute walk back to campus, instead of riding the COTA bus back.

I would most definitely go back to the Angry Baker Café and Bakery in the Short North again, and I wouldn’t hesitate to encourage others to go either.  It would be fun to try out all of the different desserts and pastries made there.  Walking down through the Short North when there is nice weather to get some freshly baked pastries would make for a perfect morning or a perfect afternoon.  I would also love to venture and check out the Angry Baker location in Olde Town East, to see what the atmosphere is like there and what other unique pastries they offer.

This Explore Columbus Activities was a great opportunity to visit a new place and try new things in the city.  I have previously traveled to many different cities with my family before.  When we go somewhere new, we like to find places and cuisines unique to each city.  By actively searching for new experiences in each city you visit, you get a more authentic and genuine view of each city.  You also get to see the lesser known places locals’ value as the cornerstones of their communities.  Even when we just stay in Cincinnati, we still like to test out different restaurants and experiences to broaden our view of our city.  Prior to moving to Columbus for college, I had not been able to explore the city, even with only living two hours away.  Now that I am living in Columbus during the school year, when I have free time, it is a lot of fun to go out to explore and find all of the hidden gems this vibrant city has to offer.