Mentor/Mentee First-Semester Interview

Maddy Melzer is a Pre-Medicine Neuroscience student from Cleveland, Ohio.  She was originally a pre-aerospace engineering student, but she decided she did not like physics enough to become an engineer.  This past summer she shadowed at the Cleveland Clinic, which influenced her to want to work with patient care in the medical field.  She changed her major to Neuroscience because she thought it was interesting and wanted to be involved in neurological research.  After completing her bachelor’s degree in Neuroscience, Maddy plans on attending medical school to become a physician.  Currently, she is thinking about being a pediatrician or an obstetrician/ gynecologist, however it is too soon for her to be sure.  She wants to be a physician because it is a career in which you are constantly learning new things from the most recent research.  She likes how you can make someone’s day better by caring for them.  Maddy is a warm person, and she wants to use that quality to help others.  While I am not planning on attending medical school, I am planning on attending graduate school for genetic counseling.  This year, as Maddy’s mentor, I will be able to apply my experience with mapping out academics and involvements to prepare for graduate/professional school to helping Maddy.

In high school, Maddy was highly involved. She was secretary of student government, on her class’ advisory board all four years, on the Science Olympiad Team, and in the Civil Air Patrol.  She also ran cross country, played soccer, and volunteered for the Voices for Violence program with the Cleveland Police.  Most of her volunteer work was through the Civil Air Patrol.  As a flight sergeant, she taught lessons and ran drill for her squadron.  She also taught aerospace/ STEM activities to children.  Maddy intends to continue her pattern of many involvements as she transitions to life at Ohio State.  Now that she is on campus, Maddy wants to be involved in the Undergraduate Neuroscience Outreach Organization, American Medical Women’s Association, College Mentors for Kids, the Disney Club, and the Causal Sports Club.  In high school and the first two years of my college experience, I have been highly involved, as well.  I can use my experience balancing academics with involvements and volunteering to advise Maddy as she figures out how to divide her time between everything she wants to accomplish.

Maddy enjoyed volunteering all throughout high school.  She wanted to participate in the ACES Program because she wanted to continue volunteering and giving back to her community.  She also wanted to surround herself with people who value volunteering.  She is most looking forward to being exposed to various volunteering opportunities and having access to more resources for advocacy.  She is excited for the mentorship program.  She values having connections with people who have recently experienced what she is experiencing currently.  Maddy appreciates how the ACES Program has created a more close-knit community for her at a large school.  I chose ACES for the same reasons Maddy did.  I truly enjoy giving back to my community, and I love being a part of a community that values volunteering as much as I do.  I look forward to working with Maddy this year to find different opportunities to get involved in the ACES Program.

One of the most important things Maddy has learned so far at Ohio State is that you should not stray away from people if you are having a rough time.  You can find more comfort in others than in staying by yourself.  I agree whole-heartedly with Maddy’s observation.  Since you are not living at home anymore, your friends become your “at-school” family.  Your immediate family is no longer immediately there to lean on, so you lean on your friends.

I enjoyed the opportunity to sit down with Maddy and connect over her initial transition to Ohio State.  I look forward to getting to know Maddy better and seeing her acclimate into our ACES family this year.

Questions Used:

How did you decide on the major you have chosen?

How do you plan to get involved on campus?

What types of volunteering and involvement were you involved with in high school?

Why did you choose ACES?

What are you most looking forward to in the ACES program?

What do you plan to do with your major after graduation? Graduate of Professional school?  Enter the workforce?

What is your dream job and why?

What is one of the most important things you have learned so far at Ohio State?