Efficiency in the Digital Age

The most useful piece of information I obtained from Module 3 pertains to the tools one can use to reduce procrastination. The two I find very useful and will incorporate in the near future are the 10-minute rule, and the Ultimate Goal vs Immediate Desire technique. The 10-minute rule breaks down a goal into mini manageable tasks. This makes each task short and easy, but with all the tasks adding up to the 1 goal. Ultimate Goal vs Immediate Desire technique compares the goal you are striving for and the desire of wanting to do something else instead of going for that goal. An example from the module is a video of a person wanting to quit smoking, but have the desire to just turn around and light up a cigarette. If you break it down to asking yourself “do you want nice teeth”, “do you want healthier lungs”, do you want better breathe”, these questions can take your ultimate goal, and make it your immediate desire thus, making it easier to obtain that goal.

Another piece of information I received from this module would be the tips to reducing distractions, more specifically, technology. I already incorporate some of the tips brought up by the module such as turning off my notifications on my phone while doing work, and putting my phone in a different room while working. I plug my phone into the charger while working too so I have no desire to have it by me. This works out great as I have zero distraction from my phone and keep it out of sight, out of mind.

The ideas I will put into practice from module 3 will be the tools I described above when it comes to reducing procrastination. I will use both the 10-minute rule and the ultimate goal v immediate desire technique as a guideline to possibly get rid of my procrastination habits

Advice I would give to students would be to keep your focus on the tasks at hand, but make it less complicated to focus with some of the tips provided. Turn your big goal into a set of little goals to keep yourself motivated, make sure distractions are limited, and always give yourself enough time to complete the tasks at hand.