Volunteering at the Columbus Marathon

This semester I volunteered for the Columbus Marthon for five hours. During this event they raise money for the Nationwide Children’s Hospital through putting on this marathon and half marathon. Here is a link to their website: http://www.columbusmarathon.com. I learned about this organization through the weekly Dunn Sports and Wellness emails. I provided the service of preparing the water and Gatorade mix for the refuel station at mile marker 17. I also handed out the water and Gatorade to the runners as they ran by. As a result of the service I learned that I can be a very impactful person. I also learned that I am a person with a big heart. Watching the smiles on all of the runners faces as they grabbed water out of my hand really hit home. As a leader, I learned that it is extremely important to be as organized as possible. Even our little part of handing out water and Gatorade had a significant impact on the goal of the Columbus Marathon as a whole. Because of service learning I am able to feel apart of my communtiy. I learned that volunteering is a great way to have an impact and to give back to the community that one is in.