Journal: November 3 2020

Untitled (Unsaid, Unsettled Iteration II) collected rocks, mirror, wood, epoxy, permanent marker. 2020.

Gallery Statement:

Have you ever looked at your reflection and been overcome by the surreal fact of your existence? The circumstances that lead to and shape one’s life begin to feel absurdly improbable. 

American physicist Richard Feynman describes the experience of seeing one’s reflection as a psychological condition, “ordinarily when we think of the image we think of it as another person. We think of the normal way that a person would get into that condition over there… A person gets to look like he looks in the mirror by walking around and facing you.” 

Untitled (Unsaid, Unsettled) is an on-going project that explores the artists’ ability to shift her identity through narrative agency. By walking around places of personal significance with a mirror in hand, she develops new perspectives of her past. Rocks collected from each place are then dropped onto the mirror. The ego is shattered and she is untethered from her preconceived notion of self.

Untitled (Unsaid, Unsettled Iteration III) is a work in progress for my BFA senior exhibition. Installation is this Friday (11/6/2020). The piece will be as tall as I am (66″) and composed of 3 tiers. The sides of the steel triangles are roughly ~18″ each. The center tier is 33″ off the ground. The triangles will not be placed as they are in the images. Instead they will be in line with the steel frame. Today I finished the steel frame by adding flanges to the side to hold the glass which will then be the platform for rocks and mirrors. The mirrors will be facing each other like in the images, creating an infinite mirror tunnel. I also cut the 2 glass triangles that will be contained in the center and top tiers. I used thin sheets of glass, typically used for picture frames. I want to sandblast a design or some text from my previous journal entries onto the mirrors. The first trial didn’t go so well, which isn’t surprising. Tomorrow I will try again and if the razist transparencies don’t work I will probably try vinyl stencils.